Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam - "light Physical Employment" Translation?

Rate this question

Punisher

Question

Hi All!

I've been sitting in the "Preparation for Decision" stage for almost two months now, so I'm doing lots of homework to be ready for any appeals or NODs.

One thing I cannot find anywhere is some documentation tying the statement below to where that would fall in the VA Schedule in the e-CFR page. The C&P VA Dr. put this throughout my shoulder, back, knee, wrist, etc., sections:

15. Functional impact
---------------------
Regardless of the Veteran's current employment status, do the condition(s)
listed in the Diagnosis Section impact his or her ability to perform any type
of occupational task (such as standing, walking, lifting, sitting, etc.)?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe the impact of each of the Veteran's shoulder
conditions providing one or more examples:
LIGHT PHYSICAL EMPLOYMENT: SALES/TEACHING.
Does anyone know how that will determine the percentage in the e-CFR tables for the items I listed above?
Another question, based on the C&P Exam, she wrote Arthritis up separately from those problem areas above, but each of those addresses Arthritis as well. Does the VA award disability for BOTH Arthritis overall AND each of those items, or just take whatever is the highest %?
Thanks in advance!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome aboard bud, but the only 2 statements that we need to see off of the C&P exams are 1) Occupational and Social Impact and 2) Condition is most likely or least likely related to Military Without those statements or you posting your exams results on here, we will just be guessing. Post the exam reports on here, but make sure to remove your personal info. Good luck and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Navy04,

Thank you for welcoming me and your response. I too am a Navy O-4, so thought about choosing "Navy04_Jr." or something like that for a User ID. ;o)

I am a bit confused by what you said though. It looks like you just got out a couple of years back, so I don't know if wording has changed, but I have my entire C&P exam write-up and the only verbiage referencing the "occupational" part was in the one I posted earlier. It was repeated, virtually the same, for both shoulders, knees, and a couple other body parts. It always shows up in the "Functional Impact" section and you can tell those were in the boxes where she had to select or click in the soft copy of the DBQ.

"15. Functional impact

---------------------
Regardless of the Veteran's current employment status, do the condition(s)
listed in the Diagnosis Section impact his or her ability to perform any type
of occupational task (such as standing, walking, lifting, sitting, etc.)?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If yes, describe the impact of each of the Veteran's shoulder
conditions providing one or more examples:
LIGHT PHYSICAL EMPLOYMENT: SALES/TEACHING.

As for the second part about being related to the military, I'm sure your situation was probably similar to mine. I enlisted in 1988 and officially retired last month, so I figure anything that happened during that time was related to being in the military--unless an investigation was conducted and a finding of it not being "in the line of duty" was determined. I'd have to look again, but I believe the history part usually showed that injuries due to PT, training, etc. was mentioned.

So, when the injuries happened during someone's service, does that have to be proven? Again, if so the history portion should cover it.

I'm also waiting to file a Secondary Claim as some tests the VA just ran on me diagnosed me with "Chronic Renal Disease," which is supposedly synonymous with Chronic Kidney Disease.

Thanks again in advance!

what he is asking is for you to scrub the report of your name, facility/dr's name/social. anything identifieable and post the full report. to give full and encompassing answers we need the full report, without it, it is just guessing as to how this will affect your rating. its like only seeing one piece of the puzzle and asking if that piece will complete the building or the pond, we need to see the whole thing.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

Basically this means you are highly unlikely to get IU. Reason: Your VA doc thinks you can work at a sales/light physical job. To get IU, you need to be unable to maintain substantial gainfull employment. If you can do "light physical" or "sales", then you doc opinies you can do those jobs. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Your doc has opined that, even tho your disabilities "affect" your employment, that you should be able to do sales/clerical type of work.

Edited by broncovet

Level of activity in determining type of work you can do under SSA

Heavy work

Medium work

Light work

Sedentary work

Its all in the amount of labor you can or cant perform, your age, and education/work history.

Example would be if you were a Heavy laborer, without a HS diploma, and you were injured, over 55, and applied for SS, you would be capable of light or sedentary work, but without the education and at the over 55 age group, they would consider you disabled, they don't expect you to learn a new job at that age.

I don't think the VA is much different than the SSA.

All,

Gotcha! I will follow-up later with the "Rest of the Story." :smile:

As for getting IU, I honestly don't want it. Sure, I'm hoping to get 100% SC from the total of the e-CFR, but I want to be able to earn a little extra cash and not worry about it. As it is, I was fortunate enough to land a work-at-home job, so I'm feeling extremely blessed right now and it has been much easier to deal with all the VA appts and manage my pain from home.

Thanks again!