• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Can someone tell me the difference between the two because

I always thought it was the same until today some doctor call today

saying they are different

Fee Basis

Fee Basis services. The Fee Basis Unit processes payment to non-VA providers who have been issued formal authorizations by the medical center to deliver care. For example, the Washington DC VA Medical Center does not provide certain women’s health services. When such services are determined necessary, a VA provider will initiate a consult, requesting approval to send the patient to a non-VA provider. If that request for an non-VA authorization is approved, the Fee Basis office will process payment to the provider after the services are provided. By law, VA payment for services not authorized in advance is strictly limited.

Questions about non-VA care claims may be directed to the Fee Basis Unit between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The office located in room 1J154. The telephone number is 202-745-2473.

http://www.washingtondc.va.gov/services/Fiscal_Service.asp

Veterans Choice

What is the Choice Program?

If you are already enrolled in VA health care, the Choice Program allows you to get health care from non-VA doctors. Using this program does NOT impact your existing VA health care, or any other VA benefit.

Am I Eligible?

If you are already enrolled in VA health care, you may be able to receive care from non-VA facilities, instead of waiting for a VA appointment or traveling to a VA facility.

You are eligible if any of these situations apply to you:

http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Thanks, Carlie, for posting those. I agree with RU ready that Fee bases and Veterans Choice are the same thing, but there are subtle differences.

Fee bases does not require you to be more than 40 miles away, or not get an appointment in 30 days, while Veterans choice does.

In other words, Veterans choice is more restrictive than Fee bases. However, it does appear you have to get approval from Fee bases in advance, while that may not be necessary with Veterans choice. (No, I dont recommend you do Veterans choice without pre approval).

To me, its a classic VA snafu. Its crazy to have these seperate...this is politically motivated, when Shinseki was fired. Congress felt they had to "do" something, and "Veterans choice" was born. VA did get more money for Veterans choice, but they wound up "diverting" several billion of that to the new hospital scam where billions were wasted on the new hospital. Right now, it looks like "Veterans Choice" is defunct, as there is little/ no funding for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a card in mail to call VA to schedule appointment with skin doc. When I called earliest they could see me was Oct 3rd at 8 AM so I asked for choice, Operator checked and said I was eligible and that I needed to call another 800 number in 10 working days and they would schedule me to see a Doc on outside.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thanks carlie, for the post my problem was I was getting treatment

for acupuncture fee base said I was approve for additional treatment

I been waiting since 6-10-15 for this to happen nothing Some doctor call

Friday said first they put in consult if doctor cant see me then I can get

acupuncture from Veteran choice and not fee base that's what threw me off