Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Too Broad Mental Hygene Claim?

Rate this question

reelnrod

Question

I found out in 2005 I had issues, and assumed they were just depression. After a lot of group therapy I decided to file a claim for it. The VA denied the claim, but suggested I had been treated and diagnosed with a differently named mental condition (I used the wrong name). Upon receiving my medical records I learned I was diagnosed with “adjustment disorder with signs of stress.” Over the years VA labeled me with a lot of mental issues, so I filed a new claim for non-combat PTSD, Chronic Adjustment Disorder, Anxiety, Acquired Psychiatric Condition, and TDIU. The reason for TDIU is because I was granted a non-service-connected pension, and lived on this meager amount until SSDI benefits were granted. Currently I am 10% service connected and for purpose of pension the VA rated other conditions at a totality od 90% to grant the NSC Pension. NEXT: I selected on eBenefits to “decide claim now” the rationale was I had a Nexus Letter, Military treatment records indicating adjustment disorder with signs of stress, and VA records. QUESTION: eBenefits changed status a few times, after the C & P I feel the examiner rushed me and did not give full consideration of everything; impossible to do in one hour. The claim was filed September 2014 indicating a decision to be made between September 2015 and March 2016. Needed from me 1 with a green dot; needed from others Birmingham VA with a red dot and due date 9/18/2015. Can anyone look into a crystal ball and let me know what to expect? I filed the claim with no help, but later joined the American Legion. The service officer said I made a mess of the claim and to never-never-never communicate with VA without going through him. Am I screwed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzakq0u0cnjrekz/rated_pending.pdf?dl=0

Drop Box link to what I see on eBenefits.

Checked eBenefits today and it said pending decision approval; notification letter sent. It went back and forth from preparation  for decision to gathering of evidence a few times, and now hopefully this means I was rated pending approval.

Pete, I know that happened as you said, to many.

I wonder if the Hagel Memo would apply to this veteran ,although that was specifally for Vietnam Vets I think, who got bad paper discharges or PD diagnosis.

I think this vet can turn this all around ...if the SSDI is solely for the claimed SCs, he should apply for TDIU.

I cant copy and paste links here (got new PC yesterday and trying to figure it all out) -

The Hagel Memo is here....could help others if not this vet.

Can someone here find it and post the hadit link to it?

Thanks

eBenefits indicated claim complete today 8/20/2015 notification of decision -or- award sent U. S. Mail; no other information under any tabs indicate award Ab8 or Letter of proof of benefits still says 10% and the amount effective as of last month of last year; as always. I will keep everyone posted when package arrives.

eBenefits indicated claim complete today 8/20/2015 notification of decision -or- award sent U. S. Mail; no other information under any tabs indicate award Ab8 or Letter of proof of benefits still says 10% and the amount effective as of last month of last year; as always. I will keep everyone posted when package arrives.

Berta Well, the big envelope came and it was bad news. I filed myself using VBA findings etc... My county Veterans service office is not effective as an advocate, and frankly I felt I knew more than they did considering they claim to have no knowledge of this site. I joined the Legion, and quickly learned "this claim is a mess!" That service officer has not got with me since getting the denial almost a month ago. I cannot understand how the Navy diagnosed adjustment disorder with signs of stress, VA notes support the military diagnosis, and a had a nexus letter from a psychiatrist stating that my condition "more likely than not" was more likely than not related to the Military diagnosis.

Can one appeal "de jure" meaning as a mattaer of law RE: previous VBA remands allow such? Really confused with access to much help.

Can you scan and post the Reasons and Bases part of the decision here, and include the Evidence List?

Cover your C file#,name and address prior to scanning it.

Based on what evidence you had I am surprised they denied the claim.

Do you now receive SSDI solely for the adjustment disorder?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.