VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CUE by failing to adjuticate entitlement to SMC S

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I got a "single" 100 percent disability in a 2009 VARO decision.   The VARO did NOT adjuticate SMC S, but instead adjuticed SMP (housebound).  

I think they were trying to confuse, which they did. 

The problem with a CUE with this, is that I dont know it would be "outcome determinative" because "consideration" does not mean it would be awarded, but only considered, thus

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Right.....that was the point of my 2003 SMC CUE...."failure to consider" the mandate of SMC , 

because I knew once they considered SMC ,based on evidence in VA's possession in 1998 (decision date I cued)they would have to pay the retro SMC and they did. It only took 7 years.

They could have awarded the SMC S under 100% plus over 60% for independent system (100% PTSD and 100% under 1151), but instead awarded HB, which the evidence clearly warranted,under the 1151 award. The cash is the same either way.

I wish I could add more here but VA called me AGAIN and a man with 23 years claims experience said he will try to help straighten out my pending CUE issues.(gee, I have at least 23 years of experience myself with claims so I figured Great

until he said...oh this is an 1151 issue , and I dont know much about 1151 :wacko:), and I gave him the exact regs from M21-1MR to read, also page 2 of the disability comp site at www.va.gov, and also , (he had my email suggesting they call General Counsel to interpret the 1151 regs) since he had the Nehmer math breakdown in front of him I pointed out 3 ways in which the amount was wrong.

Even if VA's position is correct (that they dont have to pay 1151 accrued ---but they do) the award clearly shows that their last accrued award to me (which has nothing to do with the 1151 award) means they totally forgot the entire Agent Orange IHD payment,50% for 6 years combined with the 30 SC PTSD, and also as I pointed out to him , they gave a bunch of zeros in the entire year of 1994 for any payment at all but I told him my husband lasted 10 months of that year before VA killed him and  he  immediately saw that error, so he does know something is drastically wrong with the past award amount.

he will call me either tomorrow or Monday and maybe that will get me a little closer to resolving my issues.

I thought they awarded the AO IHD under both direct SC and under 1151 (as it was claimed in 2010) but apparently they didnt.

If they combined those ratings (as they should have) the AO amount is still wrong anyhow in the Nehmer decision.

I sure have my own issues to deal with and I see there are unanswered questions here sometimes......

we need more people ,willing to chime in and everyone here should check and double check any "audit" stuff they get which is basically a list of what they paid and what the new amount is etc etc to include dependents and they make MANY errors in those audits  ,hoping we wont find out.

• HadIt.com Elder

Is the VA required to give SMC's When they award a higher % to say 160%???

Automaticly?

I thought the veteran had to request it?

..........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

slowlane,

The VA just don't like us to find the CUE'& point it out to them.

They know the CUE's are  hard to get approved but if a vet is careful and presents all the right evidence  they have no choice but to award on there mistake/error

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck.   Yes, Entitlement to SMC when the Veteran meets the applicable criteria is inferred, and no new application is necesssary.  This said, many times the VA "overlooks" benefits due to a Veteran, and the Veteran must then initiate an application or he simply wont get it.  Even then, as some found out, expect the VA to fight you on it, trying to find any loophole to not pay you.  

An SMC CUE is explained in our CUE forum.

I believe my entire SMC CUE is there filed in 2003 awarded in 2012.

My recent 1151 HBP CUE award is there too somewhere and VA called me again yesterday to tell me that the new 'expert' with 23 years of claims adjudication will read the M21-1 MR provisions I am arguing over , and call me back Monday. (He had little experience at all, as he said, with 1151 issues so maybe since filing this CIE in 2012, they will finally read the proper regs and apply them to my claim....I have also contacted NVLSP as well.

Slowlane asked

"How much importance or weight does a CUE carry?

You seem to indicate that VA hates a CUE and that they fight big time to avoid one."

One CUE brought me 59,700 bucks , one almost 40 thousand, and my SMC CUE reaped over 32 thousand to include about 8,000 that was for direct SC IHD, so not part of the CUE award  but that amount is incorrect and I am aggressively fight them.

Do they hate CUEs? yes because they have to  be able to read to deal with them.

My 1151 HBP claim filed in 2012 was denied,in April 2015  and I filed 3 or 4 CUES right away on that denial  ,and then awarded in March 2015.

My initial AO IHD claim was denied in Dec 2011 and then because I filed CUE in a VACO complaint , tyhey award in 3 weeks and the award is dated Jan 6 2012.

So they can do a CUE right in a brief period of time or let a CUE claim such as my SMC CUE collect dust for years.Filed in 2003, awarded in 2012.

Everything anyone needs to know about CUE is in our CUE forum and whatever there that came from me, is because I have won CUE claims out of and within the appellate period.

I forgot ...they awarded a NOD and CUE for my daughter's proper entitlement date for her Chapter 35 , 3 weeks after they got the CUE/NOD I prepared for her.