Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam help

Rate this question

Mauree55

Question

Hi I am new here, and trying to sort through all of this, and it is a bit overwhelming. I have a C&P scheduled in a few months, and just received my appointments. 

C&P MHC
C&P PSYCH TEST
C&P Primary Care
C&P Audiology

So my question would be, I assume MHC = Mental health...So would it really be 4-hours of MH and psych testing? I am having a longer wait as it is because I need to see a female doctor for the MST part. I am really nervous about this whole process, and have read so many horror stories about the MST claim process (I understand it is PTSD via MST). I have a wonderful psychiatrist (private) that has helped me a lot, and she has submitted the Nexus. I guess I just feel like I am walking into an appointment where they will want to prove me wrong rather than help. I have been avoiding this whole situation for 17-years. Can anyone give me any advice that has been through this?  Thank you in advance.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Mauree55. I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I want to bump your post and see if it grabs someone's attention. I haven't heard of someone being scheduled for "C&P Primary Care". Maybe someone else has. MHC usually refers to the Mental Health Clinic, both of those seem to me like treatment appointments were it not for the "C&P" designation. Where are you getting this information from? Did you get a letter or are you finding it online? Maybe someone else has some insight.

Hi Mauree55. I don't have a lot of answers for you, but I want to bump your post and see if it grabs someone's attention. I haven't heard of someone being scheduled for "C&P Primary Care". Maybe someone else has. MHC usually refers to the Mental Health Clinic, both of those seem to me like treatment appointments were it not for the "C&P" designation. Where are you getting this information from? Did you get a letter or are you finding it online? Maybe someone else has some insight.

It is listed on my appointment list as C&P and then the doctors name, she is a DO in Primary Care. I just did not want to list the doctor names here. 

1) for Mental health and PTSD if you havenet been seen by the VA for this before and taken tests, etc it CAN take this long.  It may be only a few hours, its hard to tell.  this is just a subjective opinion, but i have heard of vets getting scheduled for 4 hours of C&P and it only taking 30 minuts or an hour.  This could be 2 things, 1 they want to make sure they have enough time just in case it does take that long or they are purposefully overscheduling their appointments so the problem of "not enough resources" to help vets is exacerbated and they can claim they need more people and more, or they are just using this scheduled time to work on other things, fart around or go to lunch on the taxpayer dime.  once again my opinion NOT FACT.

2) As far as your civilian doc, this is great.  having private doc evidence, nexus letter, etc is wonderful to bolster a claim and help to show that you have issues and how bad they are.  THAT BEING SAID, a civilian doctor CANNOT DIAGNOSE PTSD FOR VA CLAIM PURPOSES.  So as far as your claim goes and getting the nexus between your PTSD and the MST that occurred in service to ESTABLISH SERVICE CONNECTION that can only be done via a VA doc, which may be why it is a long block of time.  only a va doc can make the initial diagnosis of PTSD for claims purposes. 

The best thing you can do is to read over the PTSD DBQ so you are familiar with what questions they will ask you.  This can cause you heartache and relapses of issues to go over these questions in your head and recount the MST that happened to you in service.  Im sorry about that, but you need to be prepared to go in depth and in detail in this interview.  Bring copies of all your treatment/exam notes from your private doctor. By that i mean keep a set of copies of her notes for yourself and make another set to give to the examiner.  Also send a copy to the evidence intake center if you havent already.  never ever ever trust that if you give them to the C&P examiner they will make it into your claims file for a rater to see.  (i have uploaded a pdf on how to gather and submit evidence in a VA claim, read that over and follow it to help in your claim). 

3) If you havent been seen by the VA before this may be the "hey welcome to the VA take these tests and answer these questions" indoc for new patients.  Im not sure.

The MST exams will suck, i have PTSD, not for MST so i cant fully relate, but i understand how shitty it is to have to go indepth with this stuff after you have already done so with another doctor. dredging up the past is no fun.

I always recommend that you for one, never lie, never exagerate, dont dress down for the interview to make yourself look more discheveled, but also dont dress like its a job interview, whatever you normally wouuld wear that day if nothing was going on at the VA, wear that.

However if you happen to be on one of our "good days" we sometimes have, if they ask "how are you" dont say "fine" say how you are on your worst day or at least average normal day.  however you answer how you are feeling is how you will be rated, if you convey how you feel on a up day, thats how the VA considers you to always be.  so speak as though it was a normal day.

Im really glad you have been getting help with a private shrink, i fought it for years, until it really started to affect my family, wife and kids.  Its important to stay on that even if you think you are "better now".  glad you are getting help, stay safe and stay healthy sister, we are here for you.

HADIT UPLOAD EVIDENCE HOW TO.pdf

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

USMC_VET to the rescue! Mauree, this is what this forum is all about. I'm not sure how much experience you have dealing with the VA, but be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting. In the mean time, read, read, read as much as you can. Read this forum, even posts that don't seem to apply to you. Read articles on the web. Read BVA opinions. Read the VA manuals for raters and DRO's. The more you understand about the workings and shortcomings of the VA, the better off you will be. Good Luck!

USMC_VET to the rescue! Mauree, this is what this forum is all about. I'm not sure how much experience you have dealing with the VA, but be prepared to spend a lot of time waiting. In the mean time, read, read, read as much as you can. Read this forum, even posts that don't seem to apply to you. Read articles on the web. Read BVA opinions. Read the VA manuals for raters and DRO's. The more you understand about the workings and shortcomings of the VA, the better off you will be. Good Luck!

I agree, i have since i started my HADIT education been reading...

• CAVC opinions (which are binding up on the VA)
  • BVA opinions (which arent binding upon the VA, but help to know what you may be in for in the future)
  • the M21 manual for raters (basically how the will rate claims and why they do what they do)
  • 38 CFR - which is how each "issue" is to be rated and what they look for
  • DBQ's - which help you know what they will ask.

The CAVC opinions have been very helpful for me to see how they should be connecting certain things, etc.  You never know a rater may rule badly and you have to go in front a DRO.  currently i was talking to ASKNOD and jones v shinseki was brought up which basically stated that medications (depending on the exact problem and its diagnostic code) cant be used to rate you.  Now i may not need that, but i have it ready so that if i am in a DRO interview and they say "well your medications show improvement in your migraines".  I can tell them 1) yes, but slightly and 2) with Jones v. Shinseki and the diagnostic code for migraines supports this, you cant rate me based on that.  like i said, i may not need it but if i do i now know the opinion and will have it ready.

the M-21 is something every vet should read over at least once. and re read the sections that are causing them issues when they come to that point.  helps to know WHY the va rater acted a certain way so you KNOW if they are acting out of line.

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

1) for Mental health and PTSD if you havenet been seen by the VA for this before and taken tests, etc it CAN take this long.  It may be only a few hours, its hard to tell.  this is just a subjective opinion, but i have heard of vets getting scheduled for 4 hours of C&P and it only taking 30 minuts or an hour.  This could be 2 things, 1 they want to make sure they have enough time just in case it does take that long or they are purposefully overscheduling their appointments so the problem of "not enough resources" to help vets is exacerbated and they can claim they need more people and more, or they are just using this scheduled time to work on other things, fart around or go to lunch on the taxpayer dime.  once again my opinion NOT FACT.

2) As far as your civilian doc, this is great.  having private doc evidence, nexus letter, etc is wonderful to bolster a claim and help to show that you have issues and how bad they are.  THAT BEING SAID, a civilian doctor CANNOT DIAGNOSE PTSD FOR VA CLAIM PURPOSES.  So as far as your claim goes and getting the nexus between your PTSD and the MST that occurred in service to ESTABLISH SERVICE CONNECTION that can only be done via a VA doc, which may be why it is a long block of time.  only a va doc can make the initial diagnosis of PTSD for claims purposes. 

The best thing you can do is to read over the PTSD DBQ so you are familiar with what questions they will ask you.  This can cause you heartache and relapses of issues to go over these questions in your head and recount the MST that happened to you in service.  Im sorry about that, but you need to be prepared to go in depth and in detail in this interview.  Bring copies of all your treatment/exam notes from your private doctor. By that i mean keep a set of copies of her notes for yourself and make another set to give to the examiner.  Also send a copy to the evidence intake center if you havent already.  never ever ever trust that if you give them to the C&P examiner they will make it into your claims file for a rater to see.  (i have uploaded a pdf on how to gather and submit evidence in a VA claim, read that over and follow it to help in your claim). 

3) If you havent been seen by the VA before this may be the "hey welcome to the VA take these tests and answer these questions" indoc for new patients.  Im not sure.

The MST exams will suck, i have PTSD, not for MST so i cant fully relate, but i understand how shitty it is to have to go indepth with this stuff after you have already done so with another doctor. dredging up the past is no fun.

I always recommend that you for one, never lie, never exagerate, dont dress down for the interview to make yourself look more discheveled, but also dont dress like its a job interview, whatever you normally wouuld wear that day if nothing was going on at the VA, wear that.

However if you happen to be on one of our "good days" we sometimes have, if they ask "how are you" dont say "fine" say how you are on your worst day or at least average normal day.  however you answer how you are feeling is how you will be rated, if you convey how you feel on a up day, thats how the VA considers you to always be.  so speak as though it was a normal day.

Im really glad you have been getting help with a private shrink, i fought it for years, until it really started to affect my family, wife and kids.  Its important to stay on that even if you think you are "better now".  glad you are getting help, stay safe and stay healthy sister, we are here for you.

HADIT UPLOAD EVIDENCE HOW TO.pdf

Thank  you so much for all of this -  its a bit overwhelming!! I will look over everything, luckily I have some time before my appointment date.