Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/Depression?claim questions?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a combined rating SC 90% and getting TDIU P&T had it almost 14 years and over age 55.

Because I can't work because  Bad SC  hearing impairment. what I was trained to do, and been deemed unemployable.

I want/need to file a claim for a recently VA Diagnoses for PTSD  & Unspecific Depressive Disorder at Mild to Severe range.

OK here's the kicker,  

1.should I file Depression secondary to the current disability? (Severe Hearing loss with tinnitus)

or

2.Should I file for the PTDS caused by the Depression?

or

3.one more should I just file the PTSD as caused from trauma from military service?serving in RVN

note, I been out of the Army since 1971...long time gone by, but PTSD can get more and more severe through out the years and get worse and worse so the VA Psychiatrist and social worker reports!

I had this PTSD all along just never wanted to get help for it  pride or just plain stupidy on my part but I am currently taking meds for it and seeing a VA therapist weekly,

I just need to know what way is the best way to file a claim for this? PTSD or Depression  because the VA only rates one of the two...I want to know from you experts which claim would be better to file?

I don't want the VA to come back and say well if you were depressed for your SC Hearing loss  you should have sent this claim a long time ago  therefore were denying your ass now buddy  so long sucker   or something they dig up....know what I mean?

or maybe send me in for a C&P on my hearing   which is just plain stupid to do  Noise induced Hearing loss don't improve over time. mine has not had any improvements, even the best hearing aids don't help all that much but they do help a little.

I wanted to get a better rating than waht they gave me and hopefully a rating high enough for SMC's House Bound, because with this new recently disability keeps from getting out and having a regular social life...I Just stay home and never go any where, or have any friends or like to be around anyone including faimily.

The Therapy don't seem to be helping me any?

Anyone care to comment?

.............Thanks In Advance to everyone!!!

..........................................Buck

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone?

I feel all alone  eh!

I thought we all answered this same question from  you before.

if I were you I would file for exactly what a VA MH doc diagnosed you with....as I recall I think it was PTSD with depression.

...here it is:

"I want/need to file a claim for a recently VA Diagnoses for PTSD  & Unspecific Depressive Disorder at Mild to Severe range.

OK here's the kicker,  

1.should I file Depression secondary to the current disability? (Severe Hearing loss with tinnitus)

or

2.Should I file for the PTDS caused by the Depression?

or

3.one more should I just file the PTSD as caused from trauma from military service?serving in RVN"

In my opinion, (I think I answered this already a week or more ago)

#1 NO

# 2 No

# 3 Yes

My opinion is based not only because I was in  a combat  PTSD group at a vet center long ago, (civilian volunteer for VA,  voted into the group by the veterans) but also due to decades of PTSD claims experience.

Buck I think you are making this more convoluted then it needs to be.....But don't take that the wrong way...one of my closest friends with combat PTSD ,Vietnam, does that as well and this hurt him in the past when he tried to fight his claims himself.

He had GSW rated at 40% (shot in leg) ( 2 PHS) which was also damaged when an accident occurred at the local VAMC where he worked, and he made the FERS aspect very complicated and then would argue with me over a SC rating for something else, that based on VA case law and his medical evidence at that time, was a correct rating that I sure could not fix.

Luckily his main claim ,I wrote for him, and it was awarded in mere months but he didn't understand the award letter or even the claim itself. These are symptoms of PTSD, in no way do they mean a vet is not intelligent or anything like that....I saw this in my husband too (100% PTSD)and  he could convolute a simple  problem into  something tangential....all the veterans I know in the local vets community with PTSD are,in my opinion, often a lot smarter than other people I know personally.

But PTSD can somehow alter thinking patterns and would make anyone unsure of how best to approach problems and particularly how to approach  a VA claim.

You have the VA MH diagnosis and have or are getting proof of the stressors, or you fit into the close proximity part of the 2010 PTSD regs.That is all you need and the claim should be kept as simple as possible.

We are not dealing at VA, with the same legal brilliance we find here (to include you and everyone else here) so they need claims stated as obvious and as simple as possible ,and based on probative evidence, .. they  fubar and snafu enough claims   up the ying yangs as it is ,but often when I read BVA decisions, it is quite apparent the veteran screwed it all up ( otr maybe their vet rep did)  before the VA had a chance to,.

As stated above bud, multiple people with knowledge have answered your other threads. As I stated before, you do what is right for you and your family. Just be prepared for the VA to question everything else, as they did to me recently. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Ms berta

I understand what your saying and I'll take your Advice,

and Thank you Navy04   I appreciate everything you have said to  and to everyone else.

I'll shut up about this and get my claim filed asap.

Thanks Everyone!

....Buck