VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ao Study Links More Diseases

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://vawatchdog.org/nfNOV06/nf111006-4.htm

"NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Vietnam veterans who sprayed the herbicides like Agent Orange decades ago in Vietnam are at an increased risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and chronic breathing problems, a new study shows."

What seems to be lacking here (I have not read the actual report yet) is the fact that AO was sprayed onto Vietnam vets in all branches -by air -by the US of A---or they got contaminated when they manuvered through the jungles that had been sprayed.The spraying maps of Vietnam that DOD released cover a considerable area.

I dont see how they can isolate the sprayers from the recipients-lots of incountry servicepersonnel as well as the Vietnamese.

Here is part of the conclusion from the Abstract of the study:

"Vietnam veterans who were occupationally exposed to herbicide experienced a higher risk of several chronic medical conditions relative to other non-Vietnam veterans."

"occupationally exposed"- doesn't that cover all incountry vets as well as the sprayers?

Edited by Berta

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Did he file a NOD? I would send them a copy of the actual report on this in support of his claim-

It is difficult to know how the VA will interpret this and what they will do about it.-if anything---

If you could get a doctor to read this report and base a IMO on the "more than likely" factor of AO causing the COPD it couldn't hurt.

Jim goes Wed for a PET scan at the Va to check the tumors on his lungs, I think that when we get the results back we will decide where to go from there. He is already 100% TDIU I'm not sure how a rating would change anything.

We have guessed AO all along for the fact that he hasn't smoked in over 33 years

We'll see what happens.

Aimee

I think it's a terrible thing that our government continues to piece-meal the info out about agent orange like none of the studies of the effects weren't predetermined before used. It was a calculated risk, one that continues to ruin and end lives. The whole truth may come out 50 years from now after all Vietnam vets are deceased.

As for the TDUI and 100% scheduler, the difference is Dependancy Indemnity Compensation (DIC). If you type in "DIC from VA" on MSN or Google and you read about the benefit coverage and rates.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

You know the VA just does not want a new flood of AO claims due to heart disease. After the DMII presumptive addition they will fight like hell to keep other diseases off the list. It is just about the money with these birds. If every RVN vet died tomorrow they would be high fiving at the VA.

Berta

You know the VA just does not want a new flood of AO claims due to heart disease. After the DMII presumptive addition they will fight like hell to keep other diseases off the list. It is just about the money with these birds. If every RVN vet died tomorrow they would be high fiving at the VA.

It upsets me as many of us sit here with stage 4 respiratory cancers that for some bullshit reason isn`t on their list and they have moved onto the heart disease etc. I think some of this news is planned to move the attention from the cancers.

Check the Cancer Compass site and look at the Nam Vets with oral cancers....all getting denied AO disabilities.

It`s a total damn joke the way they have picked certain cancers for the AO list. Especially when we have world renowned doctors stating it was AO that caused our cancers.

As I`ve said I got sprayed alot. I was at a get together 3 years ago before I got diagnosed and I remember sitting at a table drinking beer with some guys and one fat ass 400 pounder that could hardly speak english was sitting there bragging and laughing about he served in Nam as a truck driver and just got awarded 100% for diabetes. He said he never went in the jungle, never saw any chemicals and never shot a gun. He was laughing like hell how he got over as he said. I had to leave or get arrested.

Cavman