VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Odd C&P for my Knee

Rate this question

lcurle

Question

So I went in for a C&P for my R Knee.  I laid down on a table, brought my knee as high up as I could to my chest, and then put it back down again.  Did that 3 times and I was done.  Seems like there was not a complete ROM evaluation done, your thoughts.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm not too familiar with the knee, but I would assume they would be looking at more than just that. Below I listed the knee/leg ratings. From what you described, it sounds like they were evaluating you under 5256. I assume he would have asked you to do other movements, check for balance/instability, etc... Also, the De Luca (pain on movement/functional loss) should also be considered, if applicable.

www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=38:1.0.1.1.5

Rating
5256   Knee, ankylosis of: 
Extremely unfavorable, in flexion at an angle of 45° or more60
In flexion between 20° and 45°50
In flexion between 10° and 20°40
Favorable angle in full extension, or in slight flexion between 0° and 10°30
5257   Knee, other impairment of: 
Recurrent subluxation or lateral instability: 
Severe30
Moderate20
Slight10
5258   Cartilage, semilunar, dislocated, with frequent episodes of “locking,” pain, and effusion into the joint20
5259   Cartilage, semilunar, removal of, symptomatic10
5260   Leg, limitation of flexion of: 
Flexion limited to 15°30
Flexion limited to 30°20
Flexion limited to 45°10
Flexion limited to 60°0
5261   Leg, limitation of extension of: 
Extension limited to 45°50
Extension limited to 30°40
Extension limited to 20°30
Extension limited to 15°20
Extension limited to 10°10
Extension limited to 5°0
5262   Tibia and fibula, impairment of: 
Nonunion of, with loose motion, requiring brace40
Malunion of: 
With marked knee or ankle disability30
With moderate knee or ankle disability20
With slight knee or ankle disability10
5263   Genu recurvatum (acquired, traumatic, with weakness and insecurity in weight-bearing objectively demonstrated)10

I am SC for both knees, and those Exams were conducted the same way bud. No surprise there, what the Doc did was see that you were able to bend and extend knee fully. May or not be a good thing. Good luck and keep us posted

And the results are in, looks like I will be denied based on her answer.

" MEDICAL OPINION REQUEST TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Direct service connection OPINION: Direct service connection ------------------------------------------------------ RESTATEMENT OF REQUESTED OPINION: a. Opinion from general remarks: Does the Veteran have a diagnosis of (a)right knee condition that is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) incurred in or caused by (the) repated complaints of pain and subsequent treatment during service? b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: Knee TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR DIRECT SERVICE CONNECTION ] b. The condition claimed was less likely than not (less than 50% probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event or illness. c. Rationale: Current Exam findings significant for Old developmental Osgood Schlatter disease. There is no evidence of a chronic knee condition caused by AD Military service. Aggravation of the developmental Osgood Schlatter disease beyond Natural History is also not warrented."

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Did you file for service aggravation of a pre-existing injury/condition? It sounds like the VA is trying to state that you have "Osgood Schlatter" and blame that for your problem. That's a teenage condition that kids usually outgrow, but some adults end up with bone fragments that bug them later in life.