Cost of Living Ajustment

Rate this question

Fat

Question

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

President Obama bypassed Congress and authorized the 1.6% for Military. Part of the House was blocking increase. As far as COLA's for Veterans as mentioned by others it is tied to increase for Social Security. Because our benefits are tied to Social Security I believe we get screwed cause Congress does not want to increase overall benefits but if it was us they would probably go for more realistic numbers.

almost all laws he had to by-pass congress to get it done, 8 years of that,

nothing change there, I think if anyway possible we will get something if its  up to the

President never know

Edited by RUREADY

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/08/28/letter-president-alternative-pay-plan-uniformed-services

Dated 8/28.  The increase to those still in active service is going to be 1.3%, the same percent that has been in the President's budget.

The House proposed 2.3% in their Budget in May, the Senate proposed 1.3% in there Budget in July.

Edited by green

Green

In the past 7 years, Federal employees, and sometimes military got raises while Veterans and seniors did not for 2 years, or was it 3?    Vets can likely expect this to happen again where inflation the government does not admit to makes our checks smaller and smaller.  We see that a lot with Seniors.  My father got about $400 per month social security when he died.

When he retired, the $360 or so seemed like plenty to live on.   Soon, inflation ate his paycheck away with not near enough Cola's to make up for it.  My father did not have to live on social security alone, but for many this is their sole source of income.  

In the same way, sure, for many people, the 3k per month seems like a lot..for some.  That is, until inflation and low/no Cola's eat it away, so 3k per month seems like 300 per month.

My older brother had this to say about retirement.   He says figure out what the minimum you need to live on.  Then multiply that times 10 and you will be about right.