Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% but no P&T?

Rate this topic

Sergeant

I got out in 2013 medically, 20% DOD and 30% VA. I just wanted out. I filed another claim later that year and was eventually awarded 90%. I immediately filed for an increase after my award in December and today benefits states I'm awarded 100% but not considered permanent and total. My PTSD (50%) and colitis (30%) were previously considered temporary. I'm assuming, since I haven't gotten a letter (or payment) explaining the new award, that they are still considered temporary. 

I'm extremely satisfied with the rating, but not sure how to feel about not getting P&T. I know Pennsylvania has a property tax discount for 100% but not sure if that's only for P&T. And I know I won't get Champ for my spouse. Just wondering if anyone can provide some information. 

Once again, extremely happy for the rating. Especially seeing that I filed everything myself. Thanks all! 

Edited by Sergeant

Semper Fi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was Medically Retired Feb 13 at 80% VA, Mar 14 granted 100% VA, SSDI and VA pays my Wife on the Highest Tier to take care of me, yet I am Temporary. I have 70% PTSD and Crohns Disease along with TBI and a ton of other issues. Actually going to have my 2nd Testicular Surgery in 4 weeks. I was Retired at 30 and now at only 33, The VA is going to play with me for a long time. Good luck and God Bless!!!

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Thanks and good luck to you as well! I was medically discharged at 26, now I'm 28. Maybe that was a factor?

Semper Fi

Ask your physician if he expects your problems to improve in the future, or if they can be cured.  If he says no, ask him to document that.  If your physician documents that your conditions will not improve, its more likely that the VA will change it to permanent.  No guarantee but it seems to help if the physician documents that it will not improve.  

Compare your State's Disabled Vet Property Tax  requirements with MI. A Nam Vet I work with was denied IU back in 12, I advised him to attempt to get a VA Vocational Rehabilitation Department Denial Letter, as evidence for his IU NOD. Took him 2 Voc Rehab meetings over the course of 3 weeks for his Councilor to determine his 70% PTSD  precluded attempting Voc Rehab.

In 06/14, I was Awarded IU P & T at a DRO Hearing on a Friday. That Sat while completing the MI Property Tax Credit Application, I realized that all a Vet needs is the Voc Rehab Denial Letter to qualify for the Prop Tax Exemption. Advised my friend to take his "Letter" to his City's Tax Dept. He was granted the Prop Tax Exemption for the entire year and has used the same letter to qualify for the 2015 exemption. In Michigan, you have to apply for the Prop Tax exemption yearly, even if your TDIU T & P.

Just recently another member of our group has used the Voc Rehab Denial Letter to get his 2015 Prop Tax Exemption.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

VA is supposed to rate on the highest degree of your symptoms, if your rated 40%for PTSD  and rated 20% & 30%for other disabilities   then you could file for increase on the 20% &30% if you feel they need to be at a higher rating depending on how bad they are?or if they are getting worse? 

With a 40%rating with PTSD it can be controlled with Medications but it also could get worse & not necessarily a cure.

As for as the property tax exemption you may want to check with your state  because a veteran that is 100% SC qualifies ...as I understand!

...............Buck 

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use