VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What rating does this sound like to you? IU eligibile?

Rate this question

teflonron2

Question

Currently rated 60% SC (40% my back, 30% Major Depressive Disorder) rated in 2011.

I just filed for increase for Major Depressive Disorder and Individual Unemployability. Currently in "preparation for decision phase".

Here's the main points from my C&P exam. Examiner opinion at the bottom.

What rating/IU eligibility does this sound like to you? Any input is appreciated. 

DIAGNOSIS: Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent and severe; with moderate anxious distress

Which of the following best summarizes the veteran’s level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses?

·         TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL IMPAIRMENT

Veteran provided letter written by his therapist and psychiatrist detailing the severity of his depressive symptoms, impact on daily life, and their shared opinion that the veteran is unemployable. It’s our opinion that the severity of his Major Depressive Disorder symptoms have totally impaired his ability to function in all spheres. At this time, he presents as unemployable in any setting and his symptom severity has grossly affected his ability to function in social settings. He demonstrates clinically significant distress, reporting high levels of depression, even at home, causing impairment in his ability to perform activities of daily living.”

SYMPTOMS:

·         Depressed mood

·         Anxiety

·         Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independetlay, appropriately and effectively

·         Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or work like setting

·         Suicidal ideation

·         Inability to establish/maintain effective relationships

·         Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene

·         Chronic sleep impairment

·         Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimul personal hygiene

·         Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions, events

·         Impairment of short and long term memory

·         Flattened affect

·         Disturbances of motivation and mood

In my opinion, Mr *****’s severe depressive symptoms interfere profoundly with his occupational and social functioning. My assessment today is fully consistent with what is well-described in his VA treatment records and I concur with his current providers that his “symptoms have totally impaired his ability to function in all spheres.”

6 answers to this question

The Crazy one here,

IMHO, you may get a 100% mental health rating with a proposed incompetence letter if the examiner did not state that you could manage your own funds.  VA may grant the 100% schedular rating and state that your claim for TDIU is moot.  Pay close attention to your effective date. Even though you filed for TDIU if VA grants you 100% your effective date should be the date you filed your claim and not the date of your examination.

What Pete said! Looks like IU for sure with possible SMC's for A&A and housebound, maybe a scheduler 100. I can definitely see the VA pushing for a Fiduciary, get prepared. Who currently provides care for you?

The discussion of your Major Depression and Suicidal ideation is very troubling. I'm surprised your out walking around and not in the VA hospital being supervised and treated on a daily basis.

100% Scheduler or IU, comp is the same. The all important T&P and "No Future Exams Scheduled," comes into question. Have your MH Dr's opined as to time/treatment having a possible positive affect on your conditions? If there is a possibility of future improvement, T&P and No Future Exams might be difficult to justify.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

If I did  get TDIU or 100% for your claim I would check to see if you were granted or denied Chapter 35 which means P&T.  If there is a statement saying "No future exams" that is also indication of P&T.  It does sound to me like TDIU or 100% and more likely 100% scheduler.  Can I ask how old you are?  If you are 55 or older I think you should get P&T.  How long have you had 40% for MDD?  If you are granted any sort of Total rating then the VA is supposed to consider Housebound.  If they do not consider that then that is grounds for appeal on the HB front.   Also if the VA does not grant P&T I would appeal that and not wait 5 years for the VA to get around to granting P&T.  If you want something from the VA you have to ask for it.

John

Thanks John. Good to know about the P&T and "no future exams".

I am 27 years old. Medical discharge in 2009 and then I received my VA ratings (30% for MDD, 40% for my back) in 2011. But since then, I've been hospitalized in inpatient psych, tons of medications and med changes, 100+ mental health appointments and my life has basically hit rock bottom. 

From the little I've read about P&T, it seems like that's difficult to get with a mental health condition but I'm not really sure. We'll have to see what happens. I really hope it is soon because I am in desperate need of help and financial assistance.