Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Chief276

Question

What is the latest guidance on new sleep apnea claims? Am I wasting my time trying for it? I have had a V.A. sleep study done and it showed OSA, given CPAP, etc. Would it be a stand-alone claim or secondary to my PTSD?

4 answers to this question

This has been the subject of a few discussions and a lot of variables.

In  my case I was diagnosed with both PTSD and SA 5 years after discharge.  During service had no documentation concerning SA.

Filed for both separately. PTSD approved, SA denied.  Did some research on past BVA cases and resubmitted SA as secondary to PTSD and was approved.

If you have documentation to support SA as service connected expect it will work, if no service documentation I'd suggest file as secondary to PTSD.

Smart guys and girls will probably add more advice

Depends, Depends!

No SA DX in MSR or in 1st year or whatever the current DX after Discharge window is, equals no (EASY) SC as directly related to active duty. Now comes the possibility of SA as a Secondary SC issue if directly caused or aggravated by 1 of your current SC issues. Check out the VA's and NON VA's listings of possible contributing factors to OSA,CSA and MSA. PTSD can cause or aggravate but is a very tough Sell.

You have had a VA sleep study and you were DX'd with, OSA, CSA or MSA? What did the VA Sleep Dr opine, as to the etiology of your SA? Have you requested that the VA Sleep Dr complete a SA DBQ? Any discussion regarding being caused or aggravated by your PTSD?

If possible, post a redacted copy of your VA Sleep Dr's clinician Notes from your MHV or VMC medical records. Might be a nugget or 2 in there that could help your claim.

Semper Fi

Chief I also have SC PTSD and was DX'd with OSA in the past month i am going to file for secondary here soon so that i can avoid the restructuring of Sleep Apnea ratings at the beginning of the year.  I recommend you do the same thing as well.

I made a post myself on my sleep apnea journey so far and post multiple articles/studies that have related PTSD/OIF/OEF to Sleep Apnea.

feel free to download them.  I would personally get a IME to bolster your case.  that is what i am doing

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints