Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adoption question, thanks in advance!

Rate this question

TiredVeteran

Question

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Short version, I am unable to find a definitive answer to this question: If a disabled veteran adopts a child who had already turned 18, will this child be eligible for Chapter 35 benefits?  In our state, children age out of the foster care system at 18 and are pretty much on their own. Any advice most appreciated!!!!!!

Debbie ......................HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

to get education benefits you must adopt before 18  now if you just want to

adopt with no benefits than you can adopt 18 or older. Not sure if its what you are

asking

Hi! I called the benefits for education line and was told he could be adopted at 18 and get the benefits. But we all KNOW how accurate a call can be. The verbiage in the booklet and VA information seem contradictory. For a long time, most stepchildren could  not get the educational benefits, then it is clarified they are eligible. Can you find anything to reference the adopting prior to 18 in the VA rules?  Thank you so much!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi! I called the benefits for education line and was told he could be adopted at 18 and get the benefits. But we all KNOW how accurate a call can be. The verbiage in the booklet and VA information seem contradictory. For a long time, most stepchildren could  not get the educational benefits, then it is clarified they are eligible. Can you find anything to reference the adopting prior to 18 in the VA rules?  Thank you so much!

Yeah, the VA is not known for being on the same sheet of music all the time. I can tell you is that I adopted my daughter 10 years ago (before she was 18) and she is currently using my Chapter 35 benefits to attend college. We started the application early this year and her first classes started in August. It took a few weeks for Ch35 payments to kick in, but she was paid retro. It worked for me recently, but like Broncovet said, expect a runaround. Also, my wife used Ch35 to help pay for college too and just graduated. We signed her us a while back and they kept coming back and requesting this document or that document.

Good luck finding him! I hope everything works out.

I will post a reference to this I am just depress right now cant focus on anything until

I get an answer on my claim. Cant research it right now maybe get it tomorrow but I think

it has to be before their 18th birthday or before high school graduation. I tried it also

Go to google enter """ eligibility for chapter 35 dependent""" u should find something  

Edited by RUREADY

****************************************Triggers USE DISCRETION IN READING**********************************************************************

You may not want to read this.....................................................................................................................................

TiredVet,

Since you liked that one, I will "finish it". 

(continued from above)

One very cold spring morning, the alarm rang, and I reluctantly got out of bed to check the sheep.  There she was.  I had birthed enough lambs to know. 

This would be her last set of offspring, she was simply too old.  She was too weak to push the lambs out.  She was dying.  I knew what to do.  I had done them before.  I would do a Csection.  Its not complicated with a sheep.  You simply cut the sheeps belly and remove the lambs, being carefull to not cut too deeply into the lamb, just the ewes abdomen, as the full term lambs occupy most of the abdomen just below the sheeps skin. 

There were twins.  I removed the fluid from their noses, and both started breathing and stood up.  I did not cut the umbillical cord right away.  I waited.  I had something more pressing...the mother. 

I connected with her.  I knew what I had to do, and she told me with her eyes it was the right thing, and what she wanted.  No words, just communication on a deep level.  

She could barley lift her head.  Her babies came over to her, and she licked them.  Then she looked at me.  I knew what I needed to do.  I needed to end her pain.  It was her joy that she lived long enough to give birth, but that was all she had left.  I did the right thing.  I put her out of her misery.  She seemed glad that she did not have to suffer any longer.  It was as if she were glad that I ended her life, and not make her suffer through a few more minutes, or even hours of pain. 

I took the lambs and was able to find two "singles" with recent birth, so these would not be bummers even tho their mom died giving birth.  They were both nannies and accepted the new baby with open arms.  They fed immediately, and I knew that was good, when mom permitted it. 

The next morning the ewe's body was still in the pen, but her lambs were resting comfortably, with their "new" mom and new brother or sister.  It is well, and all is well with my soul. 

Hey RUREADY, hoping you are feeling better. Thanks for your input. I have googled every possible way and read the link to the handout. My thinking is the rule is different now, but you know how people interpret things at the VA.  If you ever need a friend, message me. 

Broncovet. Wow. Blown away here. Even as sick as my husband is, I can see the light in his eyes when I talk about Jordan. Jimmy says he can't be the Dad Jordan deserves. Hey, he can be his DAD!  Jimmy is an amazing person who inspires everyone who meets him.

DCS is not really interested in Jordan now. The only response is when I have called a media outlet in TN and had them call.

Researchers say PTSD is very likely a thing with these young people. This board is the only place that has not told me to leave this alone.

Those of us who know PTSD, know that that also means there is a person who has a unique capacity to care more deeply than words can describe. Your responses prove this. I thank you.

So, the journey to Jordan will continue. Thank all of you again.