Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Am I on the right path?

Rate this question

Dennis1989

Question

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on any site regarding the issues I deal with. Before I go on with my question I would like explain my situation. I am a former Infantryman with multiple, isolated, combat deployments that has lost many close friends. I have always swept my feelings to the side and told myself that I am strong enough to keep my issues to myself. I have done this for a few years now and it has gotten extremely painful.

I have left jobs to have new beginnings so that I could attempt friendships again. It isn't that I am mean to anyone or disrespectful what so ever, Its that I am so uncomfortable in my own skin I always feel awkward. I am so impatient with every thing in my life, even my wife when all she wants is for me to put forth an effort towards getting things ready for our unborn son. I try to interest myself in things but all it does is result in me pretending to care. I feel so disconnected from every thing that I don't know what to do any more. I moved across the country for a new start at life and I am constantly depressed, anxious and unable to keep relationships. When I go outside and I make contact with a neighbor my heart sinks and I don't know how to react... I end up waving, putting on a fake smile and than for an hour I think about how uncomfortable it was and that I hope they aren't outside when I come back home. I can't put a title on what my issues are but it's so uncomfortable. I don't know if it is PTSD or what but this is not how I was before the Military. Sorry to rant.

I am currently seeking attention from the VA but its taking a while. I made my claim for combat- related PTSD with hopes that the VA would schedule my appointments. (I have never done anything like this so if I am wrong please don't crucify me). The steps I have taken are as follows:

1. Claim has been made through E-Benefits with my DD- 214 attached including "combat/ time in country/ etc."

2. My claim has been accepted and a "development letter" has been sent out.

3. I scheduled an appointment with a civilian LPC therapist. That is later this week.

I have read on many sites that with a Combat Infantryman Badge, proof of a "nexus" and a Diagnosis of PTSD, the claim is usually OK. My question is, am I taking the correct steps for a successful claim? What else should I do?

Thank you guys in advance.

It sounds as if you have your stressors down. However that is in the past (and you will have to talk about them) - what the doc is going to want to know, and you are the only one that can tell him, is how what you went through is affecting your day to day life. On your worst day. Don't worry about percentages, you are you, and although you may share the same experiences as your close buddies, how they affect you is unique to you. Be honest, don't hold back anything. Get treatment, try and get better, and let the percentages fall where they may. If after all this you feel you have been given a lower rating than you deserve, then there are avenues you can pursue. There are very knowledgeable people here that can help you if that is the case. The best way to avoid the long road of appeals is to present clearly and concisely to the C&P doc how PTSD affects you.                

Thank you all for your advice. It has helped me so much this far. I just had my C&P exam this morning. I started off extremely nervous and almost left before even checking in. I worked up the courage to sign in and let the Doc guide me from there. To start off, he was very gentile and understanding. He cared tremendously about not just the exam but my future and the help that I was seeking. I was almost completely relaxed by the time he got me to his office. Finally, he started asking me questions about my past, realized it was all pretty normal. Than he said, "I see your stressors and they're very direct. I don't want to pick at you too much but would you feel comfortable talking about them?" I took a deep breathe and released it. I said, "stop me if you notice I am going off the deep end, of course I will tell you about why I think I feel the way I do, that is why I'm here". So I went on to tell him about my first deployment and he noticed that I was getting a little emotional, and uncomfortable and he stopped me. He told me that before I go on, he wants me to promise that I will seek further attention maybe through therapy or group discussions. I agreed, he told me to continue. Multiple times he had a blank stare on his face and thanked me. He kind of repeated what I was saying so I was assured he was honestly listening. He later asked me what emotions I felt the most and which ones affected me the hardest so I went on to discuss how disconnect, anxiety, depression, numbness, anger and regret have completely destroyed my ability to interact, professionally and even at home. He was truly concerned and wanted to help. He told me that he see's my symptoms are completely service connected. Over all, I would say it went great, I feel a little better, a weight has definitely been lifted off my shoulders and now I stay patient. Just to mention, the VA examiner I spoke with made my experience extremely comfortable, and I made sure he knew that. I am thankful that the VA responded to my claim in such a timely manner, I made sure he knew that too, and he thanked me for every thing, including my appreciation for his time.

Thanks for reading

Dennis

Great Job Dennis1989.

Now work on yourself.  Its time to be selfish, care for what needs be done, get therapy, join a group of guys that are doing the same thing you are.  Help comes slowly to those who look for it.

Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed, it means that the damage no longer controls our lives.