Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypogonadism- testostrone use-Secondary Pain Meds

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

Can  male Vets make a claim for Hypogonadism and the prescribed use  due to the long term use of pain meds for established  service related conditions? As a result, I am now on testosterone treatments for the rest of my life and I really do not like the stuff. My testosterone levels were extremely low and I felt really weak. I also get the SMC for ED but don't know if the hypogonadism would be treated and viewed separately for disability purposes? I take the pain meds due to  my SC for my Tank Related back, neck, and spine injuries during my ARMY service?

Vync:

Thanks, as I get older, it gets tougher to stretch and my wife and I are going to try the elliptical and bicycle machines...at this point..I'm willing to try just about anything hat would work...thanks again for the suggestions....

You are probably already in the know, but for those who are not: For males, it could be about not being able to get to "attention", not being able to finish your duty, or for removal of the hydraulics for a variety of reasons. Even with these conditions, it might be possible to father children. Remember the "D" in "ED" = "dysfunction". Something is not working as it should. Don't worry about age. You've probably seen the news articles about 60 year old men fathering children. It can happen to just about anyone, but it tends to be different scenario for us veterans. Vets been through much more than the average person. Perhaps hypogonadism could be SC. If one develops tesicular cancer, and if it spreads elsewhere, then it would be bad. Remember, for your spouse (if you have one), it could be worth the DIC factor. Also, by getting it SC, the VA would not be allowed to charge any medical insurance you have for treatment of the condition.

Absolutely, this. You can still fire away without having an erection. Remember HS and those occasional stories from someone along the lines of "But....we never .....'had sex'.........." Heavy petting and the right circumstances for guys will still net you a brand new you, way before you actually consummate something. Keep that in mind and consider a vasectomy if you are at a point where that would make sense. Don't assume that the inability to rise to the occasion won't still get you an occasion.

On the other side, though, don't assume its the end of the world for you and your spouse/sig other, either. Again, remember HS and how much fun could be had that didnt involve actual sex? If nothing else, find someone receptive to your challenges and then open the old dusty playbook and blow off some cobwebs. My wife and I have found it to be quite a lot of fun and there isn't all the pressure and stress around it, either. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Cloudiness.

Thanks!

Did his cataracts start out as "floaters" or as cloudiness?

Here's a discussion regarding cataracts in this forum from a few years ago resulting from medications.  I posted as "VAF" back then...

http://community.hadit.com/topic/1385-eye-problem-cataracts/

Folks:

Thanks again for all of the comments. After some research on the BVA files and cases, it's pretty clear that hypogonadism and a requirement for prescribed use of testosterone treatments can certainly be service connected or at least secondary to the contention. That said, it looks like most of the hypogonadism related  ratings even if they do get gtanted, are around 0% unless it's associated with  some type of  disease or anatomical loss. For me, it's associated with long term use of pain meds due my extensive back, spine and neck injuries that are already service connected.  Several studies have shown where male testosterone levels take a pretty good dip with aging, but long term pain meds use can accelerate it further drive it down to single digits like in my case at 80 versus around 350-450 where it should be. Frankly, now at some point I'll add it to my current claim contentions  but I'm still waiting on adjudication of the second part of my original claim to hear back.

Edited by rootbeer22
typo