• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choice Program

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

This just happen I miss an appointment in 12-15 at va for a new primary

I told VA choice had already set an appointment for me. I was told by VA doctor

or her nurse they don't do primary through Choice. So I had appointment Tuesday

through Choice for primary and was told to come back 1 month. Labs &all. I'm not

sure how all this work neither do Choice. I get acupuncture through choice also

I ask do I still need to see a primary at VA? Choice says no my VA doctor says yes.

Anyone  

This is the most convoluted program in the whole VA system.  Way I have seen it work and it is supposed to work.  You have a problem VA cannot address right away You ask for the Choice program your provider then refers you to Choice.  Once Choice has it you do NOT have to address your provider for nada as to that particular problem.  The provider goes out of sight and Choice takes over.  Example vet had to have a pace maker after a heart attack then the provider scheduled him for a pacemaker within three to four weeks.  He shows up for the pace maker and the provider is like "what"?  We did not schedule you sorry.  Vet shows his papers and they go well we cannot do it now come back in three months, but we will put a vest on you to monitor your heart which is serious.  Me and the vet said BS give us Choice provider which they gave us a referral and we went o Choice and had it done way sooner, and the provider did not have any more to say.  Who knows why they (provider) screwed up his pacemaker apt???????

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

BobbyQ is correct. Convoluted is indeed the choice term for the VA's (lack of) Choice Program.

I live just within the driving range, but frequently cannot get appointments scheduled within the "30 day" criteria of the program. Every time I have to go to the VAMC it consumes half or more of my day.

My VAMC Primary Care doctor said the earliest appointment I could get would have been about six weeks out. I was like, cool, I'll try out the new choice program. I called the number and they said I needed to call my VAMC doctor to start it rolling. Suddenly, my VAMC primary care doctor had an appointment available a couple of days later. I went to the appointment and signed in. 40 minutes after my scheduled time, as it shows on a poster on the wall, I talked to the clinic desk staff and they said my doctor was really busy. I repeated this for hours. I eventually was seen hours later and was the very last appointment of the day. I asked the nurse what took so long. They said I was a walk in. I said, no, I had an appointment and even showed her on myhealthevet web site. Then they told me that every time I needed to use the choice program, I had to go back through and get approval from my VAMC doctor, even for follow ups. It was as if they interpreted the program as being for each and every visit where the VA cannot see me within 30 days, not for follow up visits.

Personally, I would rate my experience with the Choice Program a 1 out of 10. If the program can be changed to make sense, such as going to a doctor of my choice, when I want, regardless of VA distance or 30 day scheduling, then the program might be feasible.

...thanks for the 'heads up' Vync...!

• HadIt.com Elder

Share the wealth seems to be the primary result of the "Choice Program".

NOT provide needed medical care in a timely and medically required manner.

There are too many "middle men" for the scheme to work. After all, a major

stumbling block is the VA's penchant for control, even when it severely impacts

a veteran's ability to obtain needed medical care that the VA is required by law to provide.

Personally, I just wish there was a way to drive serious change by court order.

1 hour ago, Vync said:

BobbyQ is correct. Convoluted is indeed the choice term for the VA's (lack of) Choice Program.

I live just within the driving range, but frequently cannot get appointments scheduled within the "30 day" criteria of the program. Every time I have to go to the VAMC it consumes half or more of my day.

My VAMC Primary Care doctor said the earliest appointment I could get would have been about six weeks out. I was like, cool, I'll try out the new choice program. I called the number and they said I needed to call my VAMC doctor to start it rolling. Suddenly, my VAMC primary care doctor had an appointment available a couple of days later. I went to the appointment and signed in. 40 minutes after my scheduled time, as it shows on a poster on the wall, I talked to the clinic desk staff and they said my doctor was really busy. I repeated this for hours. I eventually was seen hours later and was the very last appointment of the day. I asked the nurse what took so long. They said I was a walk in. I said, no, I had an appointment and even showed her on myhealthevet web site. Then they told me that every time I needed to use the choice program, I had to go back through and get approval from my VAMC doctor, even for follow ups. It was as if they interpreted the program as being for each and every visit where the VA cannot see me within 30 days, not for follow up visits.

Personally, I would rate my experience with the Choice Program a 1 out of 10. If the program can be changed to make sense, such as going to a doctor of my choice, when I want, regardless of VA distance or 30 day scheduling, then the program might be feasible.

it works great for me I had 24 visits for acupuncture or twice a week "" But you

have to  do most of the paper work including travel pay and getting approve for

your visits before your last treatment end. At least 3 weeks and call every week to

check on status but VA told me this don't exist for primary. If you read some of my

post it was suppose to happen in 10-15 for primary and I live 12 ml from medical

center. Once you get in you are good but they have to ask VA before they start

treatment and medications fill. If they cant see you in 30 days

they are suppose to send you to a doctor. If you don't push it you wont get it.

Edited by RUREADY