Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Than One Claim at a Time? Hmmm...

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi,

I currently have an appeal and another claim that is in the pending decision phase. Is it appropriate or possible to open up a new claim at this time? I wasn't sure if you're able to carry more than one open claim at a time, other than the one that is in the appeal process.

Thanks All!

SecurityForces03

Ive had an claim and an appeal going at the same time before.that were handled separately. Normally VARO will consolidate claims together at the RO level, but since yours is in appeal and not at the RO it should be handled separately. 

49 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Ive had an claim and an appeal going at the same time before.that were handled separately. Normally VARO will consolidate claims together at the RO level, but since yours is in appeal and not at the RO it should be handled separately. 

That's what I currently have going on. I would like to know if I can do an additional claim as well?

Sure, why not? I did all mine through Ebenefits, attached all my stuff that I scanned, typed up a summary of a few pages with the  hightlights of my medical records (like, I have this. look 'here" on this scanned piece of stuff for it....*) and attached that, too. I used DAV only if I needed them to actually walk around the RO to check something. I always copied my claim to them/through them or sent them an email to let them know I filed but for the most part I handled it myself. I got compliments from a few VSOs that my claim submissions were easy to read, documented, cross referenced, and everything was attached, that they didnt really need to do all the much with it. Since they have 100+ or more people at a time to work with and you don't, its easier to keep eyes on your claim if you do it. 

I have the luxury of having had my medical records when I got out carried with me, though, and I log on routinely to pull down medical notes off of BlueButton from MyHealthVet.com. I also live in the same city as my RO so I can go to release of information every now and again to get copies. I then scan it all when I get home and store it on a thumbdrive and on DropBox so I can get to it when I need to. 

I am lucky in that I am a 'digital' person (im 38) and most of this type of thing is what I did when I was still enlisted, too. Many veterans aren't as fast, savvy, or don't have paper copies of their Cfile or Med records to work with like I do, where when VA says they cant find something or whatever I just send it to them again from my stash. 

Good luck!