Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Than One Claim at a Time? Hmmm...

Rate this question

SecurityForces03

Question

Hi,

I currently have an appeal and another claim that is in the pending decision phase. Is it appropriate or possible to open up a new claim at this time? I wasn't sure if you're able to carry more than one open claim at a time, other than the one that is in the appeal process.

Thanks All!

SecurityForces03

Absolutly, I'v had new claims filed while waiting for DRO Hearings NOD'd in 2010 & 2012. As far a filing back to back new claims, with or without Appeals pending, the VA will usually combine the claims as one. Exactly where in the Claims pipeline may have some affect on the combining of the 2 claims, Stands to reason, if the 1st claim is in the awaiting Decision phase, a new claim might not get combined with it.

Over the past 8 years, I've read all kinds of opinions regarding how filing New Claims as well as other actions will add significant time to your original claim and/or it's appeal. Maybe yes, maybe no, who really knows?

I've had New claims Awarded and Denied since filing my 1st NOD Requesting a DRO Hearing in 2010. Took 4.25 yrs for the hearing, All major $ issues, including a 2012 IU Denial Awarded 6/29/14.

I advise the Vets I work with to file a new claim as soon as they receive a new DX that they think is rateable as a new or secondary issue.

As always, it's your Claim/Appeal, your Decision.

Semper Fi

agree with file as warranted based on DX and supporting documentation.

would also add, don't be surprised if a scheduled C&P includes a previously denied claim.  Don't expect that happens often, but did to me.