VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

First thing is, they took a blood test called A1C.  This tells them the average blood sugar levels over a 3 month period. 

A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate occasions indicates you have diabetes.

They took mine the first time and it was 11.5, so they started me on medication immediately.  They gave me Glipizide, it stimulates the pancreas to make more insulin.  Other med's they have can help the cells ability to absorb insulin in order for the body to use up the excess blood sugars that cause plaque in your arteries.

They check my A1C regularly now, it dropped to 6.2, then 5.7 over a years time.  Exercise and diet are a must.  Lose weight, walk if you can, workout, swim, anything that you can do will help.  The alternative, doing nothing, will guarantee that you die many years before you should.  This is a no brainer.

5.7 to 6.4 is pre-diabetes.   This means that your lifestyle needs to change.  Eating habits and exercise will do a lot to correct pre-diabetes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for the great advice . The only thing they gave me

was cholesterol meds for years, then I sweat all night my bed sheets and

cover be soaking wet so I began to complain that something is wrong

either the meds is causing this or aids or something. Most of A1C test 105-138

was the last but they did some blood work I should know something today. It ant

no good feeling going to bed knowing you sweat all night and don't know why

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:05 AM, Berta said:

Diabetes, if not properly diagnosed and treated,can lead to considerable other serious complications...heart disease, stroke, PN, PAD, losses of limbs due to DVD, and even death.

"Why wasn't I told??? I don't understand."

I am sure my husband would ask that same question too,but he is dead from DMII contributing to his death.

His DMII could have been diagnosed and treated by VA years before it caused his demise.

But that claim took me 6 years from filing to award.

It was an additional malpractice issue I had but I filed it as direct SC death due to DMII from AO.

Your VA medical records will reveal if the VA should have diagnosed and treated you sooner for this,and if they caused you additional ratable problems due to a failure to treat (such as secondary disabilities directly due to the untreated DMII, you would have a 1151 claim ( possibly FTCA case) basis.

I used the VA's Diabetes training letter, my husband's drivers license, EEOC testimony from other VA employees he worked with, his dental records, MRI, Autopsy, EKGs, and then obtained 3 IMos to make sure VA's Endocrinologist's C & P exams could be overcome by real and convincing evidence of the DMII,evident for 6 years yet left undiagnosed and untreated by the VA.

Did the first formal diagnose of the DMII come from the doctor that VA sent you too?

Did he/she base that diagnosis on your past HBIAC or Glucose readings?

Or did symptoms of high glucose suddenly appear?

Have you asked that doctor these questions?

Bertha I ask some but I will ask from now on. Bertha I read it in my health vets

records. They never told me shit

I Have all the signs this could me AO but I went in the military

after VM in 1977 I even have heart disease and the only thing that

happen is I can remember is getting some old ambulances that we had to

remodel and paint and they were fill with dust cover everything we had to wear

mask to clean. It "AO" was find to be use at Fort Gordon  in Augusta and I was getting treatment

there just don't know the year it was found

I was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy and they never told me, I moved to another State and only found out when doing an entrance exam and the NP was looking at prior medical records.  I don't believe that the VA deliberately withheld information but one would think they would want to share information about something that has the potential to cause partial blindness.

• 2 months later...

I have had diabetes type 2 for several years. It can only be controlled with diet and exercise. I have heard of all the surefire cures but diet and exercise are all that work. I was on Metaformin but couldn't tolerate it. They then put me on glyburide and then they changed it to glipizide. It is a never ending battle.