Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim complete now I have questions

Rate this question

OceanGirl

Question

Hi everyone, 

I just received my BBE today that explains everything that applies to my claim in relation to PTSD. It was very favorable at 70%.  I do still have a couple of questions. 

-how often are the evaluations or re evaluations?  

The information didn't include a time frame but only stated a section about conditions that affect a veterans right to payment. It says" your award of disability compensation is subject to future adjustment upon receipt of evidence showing a change in the degree of disability". then goes onto to say other things that affect it such as going back into service, receiving retirement pay, opm pay, or being activated into the guard but nothing about the timeline of future exams. Is it just random dates that they decide? 

-Do I have to get VA Mental health care or can I continue with the providers that I already have? 

- My spouse is active duty and we will move frequently. What happens if we move overseas? 

That's all I have for now.  I did try a search for these questions but couldn't find anything. My apologies if this seems redundant. Thanks all for your help. 

Indeed that does sound favorable.  Mostly, VA does not give PTSD ratings unless the VAMC diagnoses PTSD.  They "wont do" private doc's diagnosing PTSD, but nobody seems to know why.  

Make sure VA has your address at all times.  They can call you in for a re exam, and, if they send it to your "last known address" and it does not arrive, well you missed a C and P exam and that is pretty much an automatic reduction.  

You should be able to contine treatment wherever it was you got it before.  

Edited by broncovet

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Indeed that does sound favorable.  Mostly, VA does not give PTSD ratings unless the VAMC diagnoses PTSD.  They "wont do" private doc's diagnosing PTSD, but nobody seems to know why.  

Make sure VA has your address at all times.  They can call you in for a re exam, and, if they send it to your "last known address" and it does not arrive, well you missed a C and P exam and that is pretty much an automatic reduction.  

You should be able to contine treatment wherever it wasy you got it before.  

Thanks for responding. It makes more sense now and I will make sure to keep my address updated at all times. 

Yes, I like my psychiatrist and it's been a very long hard road finding one that I feel comfortable with.  I want to keep seeing her as long as I can or until we move. 

Thanks!!

Dont make the mistake of updating your address at VAMC and NOT updating it at VBA.  Veterans benefits and Veterans medical care are seperate, so having VA Medical with an updated address but not VA benefits could lead you to join one of the many victims where VA medical sends you a notice of C and p exam to an old address, and VA benefits sends you a denial to your correct address.   Its one of VA's "favorite tricks" to reduce benefits that Vets are unaware of.  If you do get your benefits back, it will be only after fighting VA in appeals for several years.  

Va has a "presumptive", that they do their job and do it right. (Some judge was liberal there.  Supreme court justice, Roberts, says that VA takes a position against the Veteran that is "substantially unjustified" 70 percent of the time.   In other words, VA gets it wrong 70% of the time, so the judges say they are correct 100% of the time, unless YOU can prove otherwise)    If VA claims they sent you notice of a C and P exam, how do you "prove" you never got said notice?    Its easy to see you "got" the notice, but discarded it thinking it was spam.   The burden of proof is on the Veteran.  

Edited by broncovet

Congrats on the good news, and if I was you, please continue to seek treatment thru the VA. It sounds like you are not Permanent at this time, and the VA can always come back and reduce the 70% if they think you have gotten better or not seeking treatment. Good luck and keep us posted     God Bless

I was awarded 30% PTSD along with my other service contentions to give me 60% as of today.  I have been in Therapy with a therapist through Tri-West.  MH Dallas allowed me to go outside the VA so this really helps me b/c I do not like going to MH at the VA.  I am grateful to be able to go to weekly therapy sessions with my current doctor. 

I also agree with the other poster about over 50% you are 100% entitled to VA medical care so you will always have to go through them first UNLESS, like I posted in my above paragraph, the VA sends you out (fee basis).

Also every time you MOVE, be sure to update your address online with Ebennies, as well as when you get to your new destination go into a local VA and update it as well.  I have seen so many Vet's lose track of their claims b/c they simply DID NOT update their address.

As far as future evaluations....I would hope you want to try and get better but understand there is never going to be an absolute cure for PTSD.  You will learn to live with your issues, cope, etc and maybe even get your 70% reduced in the future but only if the VA thinks it is warranted.  I would not worry about that right now.  Worry about getting your mind healed and getting yourself better mentally!