Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

from 92% to 100%

Rate this question

fmfdoc

Question

I have a VA Math question. Currently, I am at 92.34 and getting paid for 90%. Assuming I receive 30% more that would put me at 94.64

Question: does the rating of 94.64 launch me to 100%?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
8 hours ago, pete992 said:

You know that is something I never thought about. Bilateral is added not combined so (10+10) bilateral should be 20 but 10 combined with another 10 is 19.  Another way VA screws over veterans.

Of my original disabilities, one of them was for a bilateral eye problem. Another way the VA screws veterans is by not allowing the bilateral factor to apply to eyes or ears.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, Hamslice said:

OK guru's,

Say you are billateral shoulder 10 shoulder 20 and elbow 20, which I am for a total 42 before we add non bilaterals, but now you get another set of bilaterals, foot, foot, ankle.

Do all the bilaterals get added together and then the bilateral factor for all five and then move on to the other straight disabilities, or, bilaterals seperate than added, then added to straight?

I will let you all know if that happpens to me.

Fun with math,

Hamslice

Hey Hamslice,
Each bilateral rating is calculated separately first before all other ratings. Afterwards, you calculate all ratings normally.

4 hours ago, Vync said:

Hey Hamslice,
Each bilateral rating is calculated separately first before all other ratings. Afterwards, you calculate all ratings normally.

Yes, each bilateral is added then plugged in with your other ratings.

38 CFR 4.26 The Bilateral Factor;

When a partial disability results from disease or injury of both arms, or of both legs, or of paired skeletal muscles, the ratings for the disabilities of the right and left sides will be combined as usual, and 10 percent of this value will be added (i.e., not combined) before proceeding with further combinations, or converting to degree of disability. The bilateral factor will be applied to such bilateral disabilities before other combinations are carried out and the rating for such disabilities including the bilateral factor in this section will be treated as 1 disability for the purpose of arranging in order of severity and for all further combinations

Hmmm, as of my current status, my bilateral bonus is 5.4, according to my VAMC benefits counselor.  Which is 10% of 54, added on makes it 59, as I understand it.

As for the 2 10s, equals 19 with bilateral bonus of 1.9, which was my first bilateral rating. 

I started out with 10 for L ankle, then added 10%, 2 yrs later, for bilateral patellafemoral pain condition.  15 years later added 2 10s, one per each knee.  And then a 30% for pes cavus w/plantar fasciiis bilateral.

I agree, the VA's fuzzy math is designed to screw the Vet out of fair and right compensation.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:17 PM, pete992 said:

In your particular case in VA's math 30+30= 51 then 51+10= 56 then 56+10=60 and that is your combined rating percentage.  The thing with this chart is that the more disabilities a veteran has the harder it is to get to 100% scheduler.  I think they (VA) wanted it that way whenever they came up with this ******. I won't say what it is but there is no math in the world like it and my thoughts are it was set up that way to make it as hard as possible for veterans.

Pete,

I am currently 20+20+10, so then is this correct? 20+20=36, then 36+10=46 and 46 being my combined rating. Shouldn't that put me at 50% rating? As you can see from my 1st attachment, I am currently at 40%. Just realized that the 10% for Sacroilittis was combined with the 20% rating for DDD.

JR

20160614_123531.png.jpg

20160614_123651.png.jpg

Edited by John Royal