• donate-be-a-hero.png

Another Vet Dies And Was

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://www.vawatchdog.org/nfNOV06/nf112206-1.htm

"At least three local residents said VA urgent care workers didn't help during

medical emergencies, including a woman who claimed her 70-year-old husband

died at Holy Family Hospital hours after a receptionist rudely turned him away."

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

That VAMC claims they are not an emergency care facility. How in the world does the VA get away with not providing emergency care to veterans who may have no other insurance? The VSO's should be picketing every VAMC to let all vets know how they are being screwed. I know I would not go to my VAMC in an emergency but I have medicare and insurance. Those without insurance have no choice. The treatment we get at the VA is a disgrace. Where is the outrage among the public?

• HadIt.com Elder
That VAMC claims they are not an emergency care facility. How in the world does the VA get away with not providing emergency care to veterans who may have no other insurance? The VSO's should be picketing every VAMC to let all vets know how they are being screwed. I know I would not go to my VAMC in an emergency but I have medicare and insurance. Those without insurance have no choice. The treatment we get at the VA is a disgrace. Where is the outrage among the public?

When a veteran has a "true emergency" he should go to the nearest capable hospital via ambulance and not worry about cost. If you don't survive who cares what it cost. You're dead. There is funding available thru the Hill-Burton act and most hospitals have other forms of reducing costs to the patient. jmo

pr

In this case the Veteran Died of an aneurism. He was pretty sick but he may not have thought that is what it was. Truthfully, The Majority of patients with the same condition even with the best medical care will probally die as it has differentiating symptoms. The guy used that VA for illness, He was not aware that he was about to pass away.

A aortic aneurism and a Cerebral aneurism are 2 Lethal problems with very high mortality rates all the result of Hypertension.

He most likely would have passed away anywhere.

The VA should have helped him.

Now if I was having a MI, I would call 911. But no one can detect an aneurism.

That case is just plain unfortunate.

Whenever you call the VA Medical Facilities around here you get a recording.

It says to call 911.

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

Guest jangrin

Anybody know?

If you call VA and you get a message from VA that states as Sledge said, "If this is an emergency call 911,

is this not a REFERRAL by the VA?.

VA knows it is veterans that are calling, presumed to need care for a problem. If they were saying call the VA hospital emergency number, but their not, they are saying call your local emergency response system.

It seems the VA is saying, if you are having an emergency we can't help you so we are telling you to call this number.

Seems like a directive to me, they did not say, "if you want to call", they said, "call 911".

VA should be responsible for treatment costs if they direct the care away from themselves toward another facility. I know it is a technicality, but VA should be afforing emergency care, or defering the care to local clinic and hospital services, and VA should pay for needed treatment if it is service connected.

JMO

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin