• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Won VA CUE Claim, Now What?

Rate this question

Guest ScareCrow

Question

Guest ScareCrow

Hello,

I have recently won a VA CUE Claim award/decision on a couple of service connected disability ratings retroactively several years back at a higher VA rating and to the VA's credit which was decided in my favor without even requesting one.....

However its been a couple months now and yet I have received nothing yet, are VA CUE claim awards backlogged for several months perhaps or does the VA pay immediately on VA CUE awards like they do on regular VA claims that are decided in your favor?

Thank you

Guest ScareCrow
36 minutes ago, pete992 said:

I am not sure when your CUE claim was rated or where your CUE claim was rated but VA will have to calculate what they owe you verses what they already paid you month by month and we all know that VA won't do anything fast and hardly correct. Congrats. on your win, good on you for sticking it out.

A very long time ago, but at least I know now that they should owe me then, thank you.....

Guest ScareCrow
26 minutes ago, Berta said:

You might want to contact your RO via IRIS...go to www.va.gov,c lick on the Contact us thing at the top, then on Ask a Question and they will redirect you to where you can ask them what happended to the retro.

I always suggest asking them for an email reply so that you have hard copy of it and they cant make something up by phone.

Yes Congrats are in order . Did they send you some form of an audit in the decision?

Great ideas, I will do that.....

Yes it was in the form of a standard VA award type letter I cant remember if the large envelope was white or brown, stating that they found a CUE dating way back and increased the earlier rating.

Although something strange is that it also said that I should expect payment by the 1st of the month following the effective date which was about 2 months ago, but maybe thats their way of saying "hurry up and wait." lol.

Thank you.

Edited by ScareCrow

You know when I read stories like this it makes me very happy.  First I'm happy for the positive result for Scarecrow but secondly I'm happy for whoever at the VA did the right thing (noting the error and correcting it).  I wish I could thank them personally.

Scarecrow, what RO handled your CUE?

Guest ScareCrow

Thank you, there have been many RO's over the years, but I am sure that all RO's regardless of location or population are capable of approving claims.

In my humble opinion it really just takes good and honest VA raters to examine the facts and approve the claims that meets the regs.

My only other humble advice is do not ever quit and never give up and keep after disability claims that meet the regs because more often than not they do usually get approved with some taking longer than others.

Guest ScareCrow

For those that have received VA CUE awards or know of those that have, what might the wait time be approximately would you say on average, so that I have an idea at least of what I am possibly looking at time wise?

I would hate to expect it possibly each month only to be disappointed each time when its more than likely for example a year or 2 or 3 etc away, or perhaps its just one of those things that I should just try and forget about until it actually occurs I guess too, this is probably the least stressful lol.....

Can you scan and attach the CUE award here? (Cover C file #, name, address)

One CUE I had took 6 years, the others took mere months or a few weeks,but that was because they made CUE in a new decision and I jumped on them right away.

The 6 year CUE involved a lot of retro which was in my bank the same week  I got the award letter.

A CUE Regional Counsel found in one of my decisions years ago that my RO had ignored my evidence on, involved a 5 figure check in my mailbox and after 2-3 calls to 800# neither they or I knew what it was for...and then the letter came explaining it.

Something seems odd in your case, if you expect retro that has not arrived yet.