Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mileage Rembursment

Chuck75

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
15 hours ago, Chuck75 said:

Which ever is LESS usually applies! 

The part that always gets to me was that the distance to the VAMC and appointment scheduling always forces me into one or two meals out. The VAMC cafeteria is not a restaurant I'd ever freely choose!

Absolutely!

Regarding the VAMC cafeteria slop... The Children's Hospital is a block away from my VAMC and the food is fantastic compared to the VAMC slop. Also, when the weather is better, they have hot dog vendors on the corner.

I am pretty sure the judge off "as the crow flies" now;  that is, they do not measure road distance but in a straight line instead.  An example, from my personal situation;  They assign me to the VAMC in San Antonio.  It is an hour and a half drive for me, up to 3 hours during rush hours, which is most of the day.  The problem is that Camp Bullis is located directly between my house and the VAMC.  There are not roads to get across the Camp Bullis Range, you have to circumnavigate the Base.  The actual 'shortest route' in mapquest, google, etc. exceeds their limitations (as well as Tricare's) but BOTH systems now (intentionally, IMO) use 'straight line navigation' to measure their distances for providing services and compensation for travel.  3 years ago, my family had a PCP that is 3 miles from my house.  Now, we are suddenly within the limits as of 2 years ago and need to drive 45 minutes for care.  Eventually, this will pay off for them bc the car drive is often more damaging for me then just dealing with whatever malady is bothering me.  Thus, I am not always getting things tracked as well as I should.

Talon, If the VA is reimbursing based on a straight line calculation it would be inconsistent with other Federal methods even how the IRS credits transportation costs related to business

• HadIt.com Elder
28 minutes ago, green said:

Talon, If the VA is reimbursing based on a straight line calculation it would be inconsistent with other Federal methods even how the IRS credits transportation costs related to business

And who (silly you) thinks that the VA would use a method more favorable to veterans unless forced by law and regulation to do so?

True, I guess the secret is to lower our expectations to the point we are never disappointed?