Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How are number of days determined for incapacitating episodes?

Rate this question

Guest ScareCrow

Question

Guest ScareCrow

Hello,

How are number of days determined for 'incapacitating episodes' of service connected injuries/illnesses?

For example a disabled veteran is service connected for an injury/illness and it states that for incapacitating episodes of said named injury/illness so many days qualifies for its respective determination by VA.....

However, there is no mention anywhere of what determines this number of days of the 'incapacitating episodes' in relation to the said named injury/illness and so I am understandably curious as to whom or what determines that.....

Does the patient just simply tell the doctor how long the 'incapacitating episodes' have lasted, who then makes notations in the patients record perhaps or is there something else involved?

Thank you

Its doctor visits. Thats why ROM is generally easier to get connected to a claim because even doctors dont prescribe bed rest anymore for most injuries. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

34 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Its doctor visits. Thats why ROM is generally easier to get connected to a claim because even doctors dont prescribe bed rest anymore for most injuries. 

Broken;

Incapacitating episodes is NOT doctor visits but rather a period of bed rest.  I am S/C for my eating disorder 0% and to even get a higher % the criteria calls for 12 Incapacitating episodes.

“incapacitating episode” is a period of bed rest that is prescribed by a physician.

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

Yes, and you need to VISIT the DOCTOR in order to have it prescribed. Never in my experience has one of my doctors just answered the phone and said "yup, stay in bed for a few days". 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

1 minute ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Yes, and you need to VISIT the DOCTOR in order to have it prescribed. Never in my experience has one of my doctors just answered the phone and said "yup, stay in bed for a few days". 

But you keep referring to it as doctor visits and it's not doctor visits.  It is a prescribed bed rest or actual hospital stay.  I am trying to clear that up for the OP

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

Navy,  Brokensoldier 244th, both of you are correct. However, I have systemic lupus, the rating schedule states something to the effect of-100% is warranted when more than four exacerbations per year occur lasting a week or longer, producing severe impairment of health. (This is just an example). Every time i go to urgent care for flares, I try to hold out through part of the flare so that I can honestly report"this has been going on 4+ days and i cant take it anymore". Typically, as long as you go into the hospital and report symptoms, your covered. Its always best to go when your experiencing the symptoms so docs can record it. Im not certain at all about the requirement for being prescribed bedrest, docs hardly ever do that anymore, in fact, i have gone into VA with my hands, wrists, elbows, knees and ankles so swollen the skin was cracking and was told to avoid prolonged bedrest, try to stretch. I believe when you go in to the doctor/hospital, report that you are so sick you are unable to do anything, that should count as an incapacitating episode. I could be wrong, though.

Guest ScareCrow

Okay then, thanks for all the replies.

I am going to say then that logically the only real information that they have to go off of then is the doctor's notes of how long you state that the particular 'incapacitating episodes' have been going on for.....