Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Propasal to Reduce

Rate this question

jpaul

Question

Vietnam veteran with Prostate Cancer. Prostate removed in 2002 and rated for residuals in 2003. Fast forward to 2014 and the diagnosis from the VA Urologist says that the cancer has returned. Had a C&P exam over the phone in February 2016 and the Dr. said that the Cancer is active and being treated with watchful waiting.

I receive a proposal to reduce three weeks ago  since the rater said that the cancer is gone and they would now rate me on residuals. I filed a NOD and they replied that this is only a proposal and a NOD can only be filed when a decision is made.

Is there anything I should be doing except to wait for a decision and if needed then file a NOD? DAV rep said that I should get another opinion outside the VA. 2 VA doctors have both stated that the cancer is active. I cant see why another opinion is needed.

Thanks for your help

6 answers to this question

There should have been a form in there for you to return if you disagree and want a  hearing. Send that back to them and ask for a hearing. They will either re-rate you, ask for another C&P, or schedule a hearing date- all of which will postpone a reduction until the outcome of one of the three previous options. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I would ask you if you want to live?   If you do then get a second opinion outside the VA.  Other than that I agree Broke.   There is paperwork and there is your life at stake.   Watchful waiting your widow can do for you when you are in the ground if you follow VA advice.  VA medical advice frightens me.

John

• HadIt.com Elder
5 minutes ago, john999 said:

I would ask you if you want to live?   If you do then get a second opinion outside the VA.  Other than that I agree Broke.   There is paperwork and there is your life at stake.   Watchful waiting your widow can do for you when you are in the ground if you follow VA advice.  VA medical advice frightens me.

John

I have to agree completely! Cancer is nothing to fool with. When it gets into the lymph system, that's really not good news!

• HadIt.com Elder

Our lives are more important that any rating or compensation claim.   Those clowns at the VA don't care if you live or die.  Even when you use their dental service I think they envision pulling every tooth in your head and fitting you with dentures.  I would rather pay for the medical/dental care myself rather than let those slobs treat me.  The whole system is just a disgrace.  They don't fear medical malpractice claims.

John

Hey jpaul,

I would definitely get another medical opinion, outside of VAMC. For this to be a medical organization, they just don't put enough care into it, from what I have witnessed!

Watchful waiting isn't a made up term- it has a medical meaning. The doctor(s) were not trying to shuffle you out or provide substandard care. If you have had 2 doctors already opine on this I can't see the benefit of spending your own money for another scan and biopsy. While I may have had issues in the past with raters , I have never had questionable care in the 12 yrs I hvae been going to the VA for medical treatment. I may have HAD questions about something that I didnt understand, but I asked, and then followed up on my own with a little research later to see if what they said was tracking. 

Did your doctor explain watchful waiting (or, active surveillance, as it is sometimes called)? 

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-watchful-waiting