Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file or should I wait?

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello, I put in an Intent to file for PTSD last September. I have been waiting to file because of my place of employment. Here is the story, I have been working at White Sands Missile Range now for as a DOD security guard. Over the last year they temporary disqualified me as a security guard due to the severity of my PTSD and assigned me to ADMIN duties. During this time over the last year I have been evaluated by the base doctor and psychologist to see if my condition improves enough to go back to work as A security guard. Well, It has not improved and have now permanently disqualified me from my job as a security guard. They CPOL office searched for an alternative job for me and found nothing in which I am qualified for. I have now been told that I will be losing my job soon. I will be putting in for disability retirement from government service. So back to my question. Should I wait until I have lost my job to file my PTSD claim or should I go ahead and do it now? I feel I will get a higher rating if I wait until I lost my job so I can add that to my Claim. Also do you think I should Apply for TDIU? Appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thanks

2 minutes ago, ArNG11 said:

yes you do.  I had to do similar.  File for SSDI when you file for OPM disability.  Whether you get approved by SS, you shouldn't as you still work, that is the letter you need to provide OPM as proof for filing, you don't have to be approved for SSDI just have to have an application in.  When you stop working that is the hard date you will use.  The day you stop working, go into the SSA office again and file for SSDI.  It is confusing but, that is the process.  

I was going to file for SSDI on line but you think it would be better if I go too the SSA office and File. I still a little confuse why people do not think It matters if I wait until I am not working until I file for my VA claim. It seems that since I lost my job due directly to my PTSD (and I have a letter form my director stating this) that it would show the severity of my disability.

1 hour ago, flores97 said:

Wablackwell, I agree, FILE NOW. Just the fact that you have been disqualified from your duties for the past year will help. Do not wait until you are terminated, but I would see if your employers would be willing to provide a statement for VA detailing your difficulties and the fact rhat you will be losing your job. That would help tremendously. Good Luck to you!!

Here the letter my director(GS-14) wrote for me.

Blackwell VA LTR.docx

Edited by wablackwell

I would sanitize this letter but the letter can be used as positive evidence.  Mind you the strength of the letter will be much higher coming from a mental health professional, preferably one who is familiar with you health records.  The Doc who writes the letter has to state he has reviewed your military records and gives the medical nexus required that the condition was related to your military service.  Very important!

JMO

Wablackwell, I will read the letter as soon as I can get on my computer, im on my smartphone now and it wont let ne open the document. It is outstanding that he wrote you a letter, as long as it details that you are having difficulties coping with ptsd, and that you WILL be losing your job and have been on restricted duties for the past year, there is absolutely no reason to wait. You have already PROVEN that you are being terminated. That will give your claim the same amount of credence, or more, than already being terminated, because your employer wrote you a letter stating why you are being let go. I will get on my computer tonight(when my nine year old son is dragged away from it for bed), and review the letter first thing. But essentially, you will probably be let go before your claim is complete, also you will have provided proof that you ARE being let go. Thats why you should file right away, sothat you do not (hopefully) have a long gap between working and getting benefits.

1 minute ago, flores97 said:

Wablackwell, I will read the letter as soon as I can get on my computer, im on my smartphone now and it wont let ne open the document. It is outstanding that he wrote you a letter, as long as it details that you are having difficulties coping with ptsd, and that you WILL be losing your job and have been on restricted duties for the past year, there is absolutely no reason to wait. You have already PROVEN that you are being terminated. That will give your claim the same amount of credence, or more, than already being terminated, because your employer wrote you a letter stating why you are being let go. I will get on my computer tonight(when my nine year old son is dragged away from it for bed), and review the letter first thing. But essentially, you will probably be let go before your claim is complete, also you will have provided proof that you ARE being let go. Thats why you should file right away, sothat you do not (hopefully) have a long gap between working and getting benefits.

Agreed