Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file or should I wait?

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello, I put in an Intent to file for PTSD last September. I have been waiting to file because of my place of employment. Here is the story, I have been working at White Sands Missile Range now for as a DOD security guard. Over the last year they temporary disqualified me as a security guard due to the severity of my PTSD and assigned me to ADMIN duties. During this time over the last year I have been evaluated by the base doctor and psychologist to see if my condition improves enough to go back to work as A security guard. Well, It has not improved and have now permanently disqualified me from my job as a security guard. They CPOL office searched for an alternative job for me and found nothing in which I am qualified for. I have now been told that I will be losing my job soon. I will be putting in for disability retirement from government service. So back to my question. Should I wait until I have lost my job to file my PTSD claim or should I go ahead and do it now? I feel I will get a higher rating if I wait until I lost my job so I can add that to my Claim. Also do you think I should Apply for TDIU? Appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thanks

Thank you, ArNG11! Wablackwell, I believe you should have no trouble submitting a Fully Developed PTSD claim. ArNG11, should he wait to file request for TDIU? Im no expert, but it might be beneficial to wait on the tdiu portion until it has been one year, or you are approved for ssdi. 

1 hour ago, TALON II FE said:

"The VA isn't interested in your job status for the PTSD claim"

I agree with everything except this statement.  It DOES make a difference...

I suppose I should ammend my statement.

The VA will look at how the PTSD affects your employment. The evidence you have at this point will work in your favor though because  PTSD appears to be the reason your on your way out. 

Talon is correct on that. I should have clarified my statement and I apologize for that.

Yes that is how it is going to be.  I am not going to advise on the latter, I did it differently and it worked in my situation.

You are not a doctor so when the VA asks which disability un-ables you to work, don't narrow the playing field.  I would state that all your ailments, injuries, conditions, that are service connected would impede your ability to work.  From the above, just my take on this, it appears that the service connected PTSD is the problem or rather causing trouble with your employment.  However, like most, the combination of illness and/or injuries will affect employment. Concentrate on the service connected issues.

When the fit hit the shan, I opted to state that all my service connected ailments affected my work.  In essence, in my case, that is a fact, however, I do have the evidence to substantiate my claim.  Be careful with that. A medical expert such as a long standing doc you've been in treatment with, a vocational expert, those folks opinions would be of great value.  

Calculate how much it will cost you to delay, and how much you can afford.  For me, at 100%, each day I delayed filing amounts to about $100 per day.  Of course the VA rounds to the nearest month so its about 3000 per month.  You dont get it prorated per day...you get paid from the first of the month following your effective date.  

It is true that your benefits will be the later of the date you filed or the "facts found" (date the doc says you became disabled).   Tell the doc, when you see him, the date they said you could not work there anymore.  

• HadIt.com Elder

wablackwell

''I do Have the letter from my doctors too. I am also going to have them do a DBQ on me and I will give them all of my service and medical records for them to review''.

You have a year to file your claim from the date you filed your ITF, So in your claim   send in all your medical evidence and also do ask for TDIU if your SC Illness or injury's prevent you from working?  send all the evidence you can muster up in your favor. organize it and number your pages hi-lite the favorable parts so its eazy for them to hopefully read and understand. its good to send in VA favorable Notes off my healthyvet  if your using the VA for health care.

After the VA receives your Claim  they will send you a letter letting you know what all they need if they need anything else from you, so when you fill out your statement in support of your claim do the best you can go over all of it a couple times pre read it as if you were the VA and include all you have lay statements Dr Notes and medical ect,,ect,,

if you need to use extra sheets of paper do it...just give them all the favorable information you can when you do submit your claim.

jmo

.............Buck