Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid and Attendance

Rate this question

praned1983

Question

What does my wife have to do to qualify for this Aid and Attendance. Does she have to drive me to appointments basic living needs.  Do you have to be a certain % to get AA

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"Other than Pension" there is a "compensation" A and A, which is also known as SMC L, as below:

Extracts from M21-1R
a.  Criteria for Entitlement to A&A Under 38 CFR 3.352(a) The criteria for entitlement to A&A, which appear in 38 CFR 3.352(a), require that the veteran be so helpless that he/she requires the aid of another person to perform the personal functions required in everyday living.

b.  Considering the Level of Disability Required for Entitlement to A&A A greater level of disability is required for entitlement to the additional allowance for A&A than for  ·   entitlement to SMC at the Housebound rate, or ·   a 100-percent schedular evaluation. A single disability rated as 100-percent disabling under a schedular evaluation is generally a prerequisite for entitlement to A&A.  Any lesser disability would be incompatible with the requirements of 38 CFR 3.352(a)Note:  For the purpose of 38 CFR 3.352(a), define a single disability in accordance with 38 CFR 4.16.
Continued on next page44.  Entitlement to SMC Based on the Need for Aid and Attendance (A&A), =12ptContinued
c.  Considering Entitlement to A&A When the Evaluation is Less Than 100 Percent The table below shows the procedures to follow when ·   entitlement to A&A is at issue, and·   a veteran’s evaluation is less than 100 percent.  Important:  The evidence in the case must include the report from a current examination or its equivalent.

If … And … Then …
The evaluation is less than 100 percent the disability is so severe as to demonstrate a need for A&A refer the case to Compensation and Pension (C&P) Service (211B) for an advisory opinion. Reference:  For more information on requesting an advisory opinion, seeM21-1MR, Part III, Subpart vi, 1.A.2.
The evaluation is less than 100 percent the disability does notdemonstrate a need for A&A dispose of the issue by explaining how this conclusion was reached in the Reasons for Decision section of the rating decision.

d.  Considering Inferred Issues If a single disability is rated 100-percent disabling, consider entitlement to A&A. If entitlement to A&A does not exist, consider entitlement to SMC at the Housebound rate. Important:  If the evidence does not show entitlement or probable entitlement to SMC at the A&A or the Housebound rate, do not raise either issue merely to deny it.

My question is this:  I am currently 90% combined and paid at the 100% rate (TDIU) and statutory SMC-S.  I am P&T with the TDIU based on a single disability (PTSD).  I recently applied for SMC-K  (ED secondary to PTSD resulting from prescribed meds) and VARO is requesting that I complete and return the VA form 21-2680 and a C&P exam requested, I suspect for the SMC-K ED claim.  Based on the extract language above, are they inferring Aid and Attendance or are the wanting to confirm permanent Housebound status?  Again, I am currently total +60 and was awarded SMC-S.  From reading the M21-1R above, it appears they do consider ratings less than 100% schedular for SMC-L as defined by 38 CFR 4.16.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Just cut the processing time by printing VA Form 21-2680 and have your physician complete the form during your visit. 

The 2680 is an examination for Housebound or Aid and Attendance. It's 2 pages and just needs to be completed by a physician. 

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-2680-are.pdf

Thats the easiest and fastest way I know of to apply for the benefit.

• HadIt.com Elder

Most VA Docs don't want to fill out this form  for whatever reasons.

jmo

..........Buck

Sounds to me like he's talking about SMC T. If he's post-911, he'd need to get her qualified for the caregiver stipend as long as he qualifies for helpless/danger to himself and others under SMC L.