VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea opinion

Rate this question

armyvet89

Question

I have been diagnosed with OSA with a civilian sleep doctor. I plain on claiming it secondary to PTSD that has been diagnosed. I did not have a diagnosis in service but I did have a orthopedic surgeon diagnose presumptive OSA based on my habits during a knee surgery and I have that documentation. While going thru my screening and treatment for ptsd (5 months after discharge) I had several complaints of sleep issues but no specific symptoms were mentioned. 

So now that I have the DX of OSA I asked the doc to fill out the DBQ and he did. I told him I would need a nexus between ptsd and my OSA and thanks to the new sleep apnea standards a letter describing why a CPAP is medically necessary. He was all about helping me. He wrote on the DBQ that "PTSD is very aggravated by untreated OSA and makes a significant upset in his day to day life". In the remarks section he said that "patient will experience excessive day sleepiness making it extremely dangerous to operate Henry machinery or motor vehicles putting patient at risk for serious injury or death". The doctor also gave me a news study showing a like between ptsd and osa as well as an article showing a connection between the two based off of the medicine I am on.

I also have a letter from my wife stating that I did not snore at all before service but saying I started after my deployment to Iraq. So my question is this, is what the doctor said enough to get service connection?

Hi Armyvet89!

Is there any way that you can get your doctor to re-word the Nexus letter to include this statement: 

"It is my opinion that it is at least as likely as not that Armyvet89's diagnosed OSA is aggravated by his service-connected PTSD.  I also feel that it is at least as likely as not that Armyvet89's PTSD is aggravated by his OSA."

I also had my doc add this statement to SECTION VII - REMARKS on the DBQ form.

I made sure that I stated in my SUPPORT IN STATEMENT OF CLAIM that I had no sleep issues noted in my service treatment records and did not have any sleep issues prior to my deployment.  You're wife's letter should help as well.

Good Luck with your claim!

Semper Fi -

OEF 21B,

I can try. I told the doc that it would need to say something along those lines but he said that he has filled out several DBQ's using those statements and all of his patients have had good results. I have a feeling they'll likely deny it at first and then ill have to appeal. Ill try to go back and have them write that on a letter. If not do you think what he wrote stands a chance? Thanks!

If your doc has had past success with his wording, then I'd just wait and see what happens...  I think you have a very good package and hopefully you are service connected on the first go-round!

My wife is a nurse so she put in her letter that she feels that it is at least as likely as not that it started in service and they aggravate each other. Do you think they would accept this?

armyvet89,

As your spouse, and as a medically trained professional, her lay statement will carry some weight in your favor.  Depending on her specific medical training, like LPN or RN, she will know what symptoms to look for or what they mean, as she observes your sleeping issues.  Also she will be able to say what it looked like over the years, as well.

Thanks Andyman. Would it be acceptable for her to say that she feels it is at as likely than not that my OSA started in service and is aggravating my PTSD?