VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What is the best method to solve a problem at VA?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Im asking this question especially for Meddac, as many, many Vets have an unsolved glitch in their benefit claim.  

A great example is what to do about an unreasonable delay, where little or nothing is happening on your claim for an extended period.    Some possible optiions, for example, if your claim is more than a year old and never adjuticated:

POSSIBLE WAYS YOU CAN SOLVE A PROBLEM AT VA: 

1.  IRIS email.  Ask status of your claim, and inquire why, when Alison Hickey resolved to get one and two year old claims completed, yours has not been completed.  Be respectful and dont "attack". 

2.  Send a 21-4138 asking for status of claim.

3.  Contact your VSO.  (This is not easily done, as many simply do not return Vets calls). 

4.  Call your RO.  Again this is often an exercise in futility.  "Calling Peggy"..the 1-800 number is so useless I dont even have the number anymore. 

5.  Check ebenefits.  Make sure you dont even think that ebenefits is accurate or reliable.  

6.  Email Bob, or the undersecretary who filled in Allison Hickeys position. 

7.  Contact your congress critter.  Most Vets advocates say this rarely works. 

8.  Berta has a list of many phone/fax numbers for various RO's.  

9.  I personally have the email of my RO director, referred to by Allison.  For me, it was pretty much ineffective.  He did push some things along, but pretty much nothing positive came of it.  It mostly resulted in denials, but it was at least finally went to the Board.   Even a denial is better than endless delay..at least you can appeal, and get somewhere.  

10.  Go to your RO.  This was also largely ineffective for me, but others have gotten things at least moving by showing up.  

11.  File a Writ of mandamus at the CAVC.  This drastic measure should only happen if everything else is tried and fails.  

12.  Something else not listed above.  

Edited by broncovet

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, Meddac said:

Buck, it does take three signatures to do a "Concur" on an award over $25,000, but those same three signatures can be used on a 6 figure award as well. I have signed off on at least 8-10 awards in my time with VA management that were between $100,000 and 550,000. Actually, I think the largest award I "Concurred" was for $552,000.

Meddac, Has the VA, to your knowledge ever "negotiated" a claim amount with the veteran?

Example: Veteran is due retro of 200k and to mitigate the amt, VA offers 175K