Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file a claim now or wait?

Rate this question

saxman

Question

I need help deciding if I should file a claim now or wait until my current appeal go to the board.  I have a current appeal sitting in the RO waiting to get certified to the board.  I'm concern that If I file another claim while my other claims are waiting to go to the board that it may slow it down even more. My question is do anybody know if filing a new claim will affect my current appeal process?

Thanks Gastone, I have not started the claim on E-ben yet.  I'm still getting all my evidence in order.  I never filed on E-ben before I assume you can do a FDC on there just like filing at VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with the others definitively file that ITF/FDC ASAP, when you file it that gives you your starting date to this claim and whats good about it  you have a year to submit the claim   and maybe have time to get yor C-FILE if you need it.

Filing an ITF don't mean your filing your claim right then for what your claiming   it just means your going to file a claim within a year.

Remember filing an ITF (Intent to file) you have a year to submit it as a claim, actually the VA is giving you the time to get all your evidence together before submitting the claim.

if you have an appeal at the BVA  this will not effect that claim.  so file it buddy.

jmo

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Thanks Buck52.  I did file the ITF and now I'm gathering my civilian medical records to support my claim.  i do have a copy of my C file.I do have an appeal waiting to get certified at the RO.  

• HadIt.com Elder

That's great Sax & your welcome Buddy.

Hope things turn out in your favor.

Are we talking about a new claim for the same condition that was appealed? I might be in a different situation.

I was increased from 60 to 90% in March of 2015.  On 7/30/15, I appealed this due to the VA denial of SC for my right shoulder. In January, a DAV NSO told me on the phone that my appeal was "ready for decision, you can expect a ruling by mid-February." I decided to file a new claim for tinnitus (not on the original claim) this year on 6/27/15. At the time, a VA rep took my application at the local OP clinic. i asked her about the appeal, and she told me the same thing, "ready for decision," and time frame depends upon the workload. OK, Grrrrr...

E benefits still has the original notice of disagreement date of 7/30/15 with no updates. In the meantime, I've had a C&P for the tinnitus and according to E benefits the expected date of completion changed last week to sometime in September. Meanwhile, no updates on the old appeal.

As stated above, the appeal, has nothing in common with my new claim, but it does make me wonder what is going on. While I hope to get the tinnitus claim approved (it's getting louder, and louder), I'm kind of burned about the old appeal just languishing on some paper pile somewhere. I could use a break, my wife is down to 84 pounds with cancer and I'm still not working, although I have an offer for a job which i think I can handle, no start date.

By the way, I called the DAV office in Philly ten days ago, they took my message and said someone would call. Life membership sure has its privileges, huh?