Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unsure about what happens next.

Rate this question

Numismatist

Question

Hello, I am Mike. I found this site at the end of my process and have found it valuable and I appreciate the knowledge that everyone here passes on. 

A little background. I was 11b U.S. Army stationed in W. Germany. 1988. I was sexually assaulted by an Nco before reforger, discharged chapter 5-13. After 10 MO 22 days of service I was discharged. I was told that I would never be able to get veterans benefits so I never tried. I was diagnosed chronic ptsd depression etc. Life has been difficult to say the least. Pretty much textbook ptsd with bipolar type 2. I never pursued benefits for 2 reasons. 1. I was told I would never get them went I out processed and 2. Real soldiers needed the benefits and I felt like I didn't deserve them. 

After countless lost jobs, career changes 4 failed marriages and even more lost homes, cars,  no relationship with my only daughter, and never getting long term help with my issues I had a girlfriend / friend who has stuck by me, talk me into applying for benefits. 

2012 I applied, was denied I appealed. C&P exam Dec for my hearing and psych. I was denied as a no show though I showe'd up for the appointments. They denied me before the results were in. My department of veterans affairs guy filed a C.U.E. Jan 2015. After this I fell apart. Haven't worked in 2 years my health went to crap and I didn't leave my bedroom for over a year with a girlfriend who is a nurse stood by me though it was hard. She asked me to go to the va and check my status in June. I went on the 8th and the dva person said that I had been approved benefits at 70% for my ptsd and denied regarding tinnitus and hearing loss. He said I should get all the information in the mail soon. I received the statement of case on June 15.  Shown in picture. Now my questions are as follows. How long should it be before I get notified of my official rating? How long before I can get into therapy for my issues? When should I receive the back pay for the rating as of now I'm over 44 months. During my psych c&p when asked about my finances I said I could handle my money but sometimes have difficulty. I checked my credit report this month and the va pulled my credit report. My gf and I are worried they are going to appointment me a fiduciary, will this happen? Can it be fought? We are broke right now and I am unemployed this is affecting my gf right now she has gone broke supporting me and i need to help her in return. Im in need of income and medical and psychological treatment I am having  a hard time with this right now and I need advice and some guidance. I apologize in advance to the vets on here that have combat issues and that I'm taking away from your issues. I have other questions that I will ask at a later time.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

20160701_021252.jpg

Kgosi, Thank you for your response. I am also sorry that it has taken me so long to respond back. Thank you for the information on TDIU, I think I am going to pass on appyling for it. I am just honestly looking for the therapy and the medical help. I lost my license for CT Technologist due to losing a job and not having the money to renew license or credentails. I would have to retest to get my license and professional credentials back once I get my head and health back up to par, I may look into voc rehab to maybe pursue another career track that is a little less stressful than being a CAT Scan tech. I will file for the secondary conditions though. I have quite a few medical conditions that have become increasingly worse since I haven't had health insurance in the last 4 years. Civilian Diagnoses are as follows. Irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, PTSD, depression, Bipolar Disorder 2, anxiety,ADHDInsulin dependent Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, tinnitus and GERD. Also since lack of medical treatment I have developed neuropathy in my feet, legs and hands. My girlfriend who is an ER nurse has managed to keep me in insulin by purchasing it in her facility's pharmacy but none of the other medications that I was prescribed to manage my diabetes. I have also had a handful of apneic attacks over the last 4 years that I have woken up choking and gasping for air, my girlfriend says that I snore very loudly, so I am assuming that I potentially have sleep apnea. Undiagnosed headaches have progressively become crippling in the last few years. Also my eyesight has declined since I have been off my meds, everything is blurry now and I cannot read anything unless it is close to my face. I know that the diabetes related issues cannot be service connected since I didn't have diabetes while in service, though with my weight gain from my bouts of depression and anxiety that kept me locked into my house for years at a time without going outside probably contributed to my developing diabetes. Can any of the mentioned conditions be reasonably connected to my PTSD, Bipolar, depression or anxiety? I am doubtful that there is a meaningful and legitimate connection with most of these and I do not wish to waste the VA's time or try to throw multiple claims at them and hope something sticks. I just would like to claim what is directly attributed to my service connection.

Now for a couple more questions to you good people with all the knowledge.

1. Yesterday on ebenefits it showed up that my rating is 70% for ptsd/Bipolar Disorder with mention of depression and adhd. Effective date 10/25/2012. I checked my bank account almost immediately and no deposit and as of right now it hasn't been deposited either. Approximately how long before I see the money in my account? Things are pretty tight financially and after 4 years in our house our landlord informed us that he is selling it and that we need to be out by 08/01 so the award letter will help show income for getting a new place and it will help with moving costs and deposits.

2. Will I be able to get my diabetes and eyesight treated even though they are not service connected? I will need an eye exam and glasses and see an endocrinologist and I will also need a glucose monitor and supplies.

3.Do I need to wait for my award letter to apply for medical benefits or can I go there today or Friday and sign up since my rating is now in ebenefits? I am really just wanting to get these conditions treated and under control.

Thank you all for your time and any and all input is welcomed,

Mike

Hi Mike...we just went through the fiduciary thing ourselves. Not to worry, if you have officially nominated your GF, she has a clean background and credit report. You should call ebenefits and speak to someone there to help you. They can check on where the awards are and if you have started the fiduciary process. The field examiner will come out and check for safety and soundness, and then develop a budget for you if you dont have one already. We did and I gave it to him. The process takes awhile but is not that difficult really, just nerve wracking. You do not need to be service connected to get medical help ( you already are at 70%) just go to the VA hospital and get your id and an enrollment done. Any veteran with a honorable discharge can go there. They can help get you on track but make sure you have your GF with you as an advocate. It took us a short time but we got in. As for the $ your owed you need to call to track that down. Ebenefits should have ypur information under the payments tab and if not there then look at your profile for what account you have set up if any. I would call because they can check right away. Most of all get the help you need, you can call the social workers there and they can helo you get on your feet. I will say some extra prayers tonight you get this quickly.

Its not insurmountable, just arduous.

You'll receive official VA notification regarding a Fiduciary Appointment. Best to get all your Financial ducks in a row, especially if you think there is a possibility.

Take a step back, I know your in Love but your not married, do you really think having a Girlfriend as a Fiduciary is the wisest financial move? If after giving extremely careful consideration, you still think it best, it is your Claim and your Compensation. Whether or not the VA would go along with it, you'll find out soon enough.

Not sure about Bonded Professional VA Fiduciary's reporting requirements, but you GF could expect to have to supply the VA Fiduciary Dept with monthly verifiable Financial Expenditures made on your behalf. There's an old saying, "Best way to lose friends and relatives is, money."

Semper Fi