VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choice Card Still here?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a I go about getting to use the choice card?  ASAP?

I been having issue with sore under my tongue (not canker sore/ulcer ) & dry mouth the last couple weeks, using strong mouth wash/ warm salt gargle, brush teeth several times a  day nothing seems to work, had a long standing appointment with VA Dentist Yesterday  

SO FINALLY

Yesterday  (08-12-2016 I was told by a VA Dr (Dentist) that visual looking  it looks like ''oral cancer'' but to be sure on that I will place an order for you to be seen with oral surgery Dr's...November 20th 2016..for a Biopsy...Thats Ridiculous ..So What does a veteran do in this situation?   

I want to get medical help on this ASAP.

Anyone know what I can do or who to see about using the VA Choice?

Thanks

.............................Buck

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

How would a I go about getting to use the choice card?  ASAP?

I been having issue with sore under my tongue (not canker sore/ulcer ) & dry mouth the last couple weeks, using strong mouth wash/ warm salt gargle, brush teeth several times a  day nothing seems to work, had a long standing appointment with VA Dentist Yesterday  

SO FINALLY

Yesterday  (08-12-2016 I was told by a VA Dr (Dentist) that visual looking  it looks like ''oral cancer'' but to be sure on that I will place an order for you to be seen with oral surgery Dr's...November 20th 2016..for a Biopsy...Thats Ridiculous ..So What does a veteran do in this situation?   

I want to get medical help on this ASAP.

Anyone know what I can do or who to see about using the VA Choice?

Thanks

.............................Buck

I would call the patient advocate and see if they can fee basis you or set you up to use choice, OR see if they can send you to a larger facility further away (for me that often gets me seen faster for stuff that can't really wait), like the regional hospital.  Does the oral surgeon possibly travel to your clinic and that is when he scheduled your appointment?  If it is at another clinic further away, I would call that clinic and explain that you want/need to be seen sooner because the thought of waiting 3 months to have a biopsy done is too long!!  It really depends on why the appointment is so far out and if they can work with you if you call them directly. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Just from what the dentist mention there booked up solid...the oral surgery clinic is here.

This Is the VA MC in Dallas Tx  its a very large hospital . but most appointments take a long time to be seen .

60 days on my Dentist Appointment, I've had to wait longer than 30 days on most of my appointments  and if the truth is known its that way for all the veterans here at Dallas.

I do see a MH Therapist weekly for PTSD.  I  BELIEVE DIFFERENT CLNICS HAVE DIFFERENT WAIT TIMES

It maybe that there over whelmed with Gulf war Vets coming in. but yet there expanding the hospital  remodeling and adding 2 giant 5 story parking garages.

The Health care here in my opinion  sucks and being treated like a Number or cattle.

Thank you seminoles

I will call Monday

Buck I was kind of given the run around with health issues in the OKC VAMC. The wait times are a joke. That is way too long for something that might be more serious than what the VA Dentist is admitting.  Heh if it turns out to be nothing than you will have lost nothing, however, if it more serious than what the VA DR is stating with a visual, then the earlier it is identified the better the chances to get it treated and eradicate the problem tissues.

You mentioned Choice, if that an option then go for it.  3 months to get seen for a possible cancer issue is B.S.  Does Dallas VAMC still utilize fee based care or any option similar to that?

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure?

They used choice card to get my sleep study done about year ago.

MH Doc set that up with the VA Sleep clinic ...VA .sleep clinic contacted me and had me to call a private sleep study.

I will call them Monday try to find out.

Buck,

If you are in the tbi clinic's group, you have bumping authority. I was going to go outside for audiology (which I really like outside professionals for most things) but they said because I am with tbi clinic, there were several time slots available.

For VA services, the tbi clinic is a real good group to get signed up with. I just met my tbi RN, and she has more direct scheduling power than my tbi MSW (who is now on vacation.) Now, I'll try to use who I think can help most which will probably be the RN most of the time (or when she is available :) Although the MSW is brilliant, she is often mentally overwhelmed from her constant pt. empathy; and the RN is always sharp and effective. It's probably the middle manager difference in education levels. Empathy does not pay the bills, ha ha.

But at our hospital, YOU WANT to have an outside sleep clinic. The small tiny dusty electronic filled VA rooms don't allow any sleep and is just a waste of time and aggravation. The 3rd party wants sleep apnea subjective measures and the VA doesn't. But once you get the study done, everything else is better done with VA. They are pretty good actually, but maintenance men design the sleep room hygiene and no one else cares except the VA maintenance men. 

Edited by armorer