Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Went For Tinnitus C & P

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I went for the tinnitus c & p at the V.A. hospital. After I drove 50 miles and parked a mile away I got in there and was informed I was instructed to come there for my travel pay only. I was given $8.00 and sent a couple miles away to a civilian audiologist. I was asked a few questions by a young trainee. It was totally not right after I had planned on what to say the correct way and wasn`t able to talk about how I got tinnitus. I tried to mention mortars, artillery, rockets, b-52`s, machine gun fire, tank fire etc. She wrote down exposed to missles. Then I was put in the hearing booth and told I had decent hearing and a report would be sent to the V.A Goodbye.

Cavman

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I don't understand having a problem getting tinnitus with the right MOS. I went for a hearing & tinnitus examination and as far as tinnitus the examiner just asked about service and non service noise exposure. Got a more likely than not.

Glenn

What is the RIGHT MOS?

I`m taking it for granted that a combat mos would be necessary for a successful tinnitus claim. I`m relating that to the Army. I doubt a soldier with a cook, supply, clerical etc mos would have much of a chance of getting a tinnitus claim if they were not exposed to constant loud noise.

Cavman

I don't understand having a problem getting tinnitus with the right MOS. I went for a hearing & tinnitus examination and as far as tinnitus the examiner just asked about service and non service noise exposure. Got a more likely than not.

Glenn

What was your mos? You must also be in a region where the VARO ids more lenient.

Cavman

Tinnitus doesn't have to be caused by a constant loud noise. One significant occurrence, for instance, being near an explosion, can cause tinnitus.

Nathan-there is a Stay proceeding on "bilateral" tinnitus claims- did they mention that in the decision?

Even so -do you mean they didn't even rate one ear for tinnitus?

"The tinitus is only mentioned in my SMR's twice during my final physical exams just before I got out" This is evidence that is more than what I usually see in tinnitus claims-

it often is not in the SMRs at all.

Did they actually consider that evidence from your SMRs?

Nothing about a stay proceeding. Although now looking through it, I see that it states

"there is no evidencewhich shows the condition to have been incurred in or aggravated by service, nor a link of current condition to your military service. A review of your service medical records provides no evidence of complaint, treatment or diagnosis for tinnitus in service. VA exam shows the examiner to provide medical opinion stating based on objective and subjective auidometric evaluation, it is not likely your tinnitus is consistent with the acoustic trauma experience in the military. "

This sounds like they did not notice the two pages from my final exit exam from the military where I wrote it on the physical exam questoinaire and where the doctor wrote it on a seperate page during the exam. Of course it also sounds like the audiologist who did the hearing test went against me as well. I wonder if I sent in the two pages noting it in service again would be enough.