• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Been Medical Discharge & Told You cant File A Claim

Rate this question

RUREADY

Question

In later part of 77-82 A lot of vets says they were told you cant file

a claim with VA if you took the severance pay for that condition you

medical out with. I know they told me the same bull, but I'm hard headed

and file anyway. I been talking with some vets that got medical in 2000 and they

are scare to file because of this. Is this still going on??? or anyone else been told this?? RU

If you received no money from the military then you wouldn't have any to pay back.

A former coworker of mine had been paid $30K along with his medical discharge. He filed a claim a few years later after I told him he should. Once he realized a lifetime of VA comp would be much greater than his medical severance payout. 

He was granted 40% for his back, which he had injured while playing rugby on the base's intramural league.

He had to wait till the monthly comp equaled his payoff, which took a few years. But he was quite happy with the outcome.

Now, on a different note, how did you get your shoulders secondary to your back? I was granted 10% for my back right away, which is now 40, but have had problems with my shoulders for years, and got no where with the VA.

You need to have the following tatoo'd on your arm so you can remember it:

"You can not believe everything the VA tells you".  

If you are in doubt, re read the above quote.  

Go ahead and file a claim.  The worst that could happen is you get denied, like 85% of the other first time claimants, and you would have to appeal.  

I got about 20 grand at discharge for my feet & ankles I

knew I would have to pay it back even if I GET 10% comp from them

I had to pay 20,grand off 10% I would still be paying that's why I never file an

increase for my feet only I always  file secondary's conditions.

I had a spinal fusion in 2003 and a stimulator implanted in 2013

both fail and now I'm stuck with a battery on my ass that I don't use.

The stimulator have wires or what ever they call them in the upper

part of my back.

I got my shoulder and the carpal tunnel connected by asking my Doctor

or telling him I was having pain and numbness in my hands & arms and 

I thought if was coming from the use of my CANE because I was putting

all my weight on my wrist and arms the balance because of the pain I was having

with my back and legs and he agreed with me and wrote it up for me .

Then I had nerve damage & they did a surgery on my shoulder

That walking cane paid off this time.

Okay, I see how that all went together for you, with your back.  I was DXd with carpal tunnel, bilateral, just a few months ago by the VA.  I have issues with my neck that began from the same fall that injured my back and knees.  However, the struggle for me is that my neck bothered me less than everything else ,while on AD, so never got it looked at after the initial injury.

I can see why you don't want to get hung out for the 0% on the feet.  And since you are at 100% already, it works out just fine to leave the feet at 0% to avoid getting stuck for that 20 large.

• HadIt.com Elder

It doesn't matter the condition. If an effective date interferes with a period of severance pay, the VA will offset it.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I agree with basser.  You probably already "paid back" the severance pay, so you dont have to pay it back again.  The VA is exceptionally efficient at collecting any money owed TO them, and exceptionally slow and ineffecient paying money to you.