VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need advice for first time PTSD claim

Rate this question

reddevil04

Question

I need some advice on a claim I plan to submit. A little background on me. I spent 4 years active with the 82ND ABN DIV as an 11B. Went to Iraq twice, got out and went guard, went to AFG with them. I registered with the VA, haven't sought treatment at all. I did file an intent to file FEB 2016, and I requested my records from archives. Should I start treatment at the VA or just file? I've been getting conflicting info about being diagnosed at the C&P exam. Is that true? What is my best course of action? Any info would be greatly appreciated

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes ,Those are the ones you need to mention at your evaluation for PTSD.  your behavior pattern  Before military and After.

..........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

reddevil04

I for got to mention.

When you send the VA anything by snail mail  always always get certified return receipts/keep everything VA sends you, it may come in Handy later on down the claims trail!

its a lot easier to file electronically but VA will  still send you letters in the mail too! If you don't have a Myhealthyvet internet account  you should get one! & you can  get it at your VAMC you may have one already  but just letting you know.

Good Luck!

..............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you gone through the eligibility stuff to get your ID card.  Are you rated for any disability yet? Do you have a PCP at the VA?  I am thinking if you have not been to the VA about your PTSD it is going to perhaps be an all day project to actually see someone and get the therapy set up and all the wheels turning.  Pack a lunch.  It is better to get it right the first time so get your ducks in a row.  If you want to get compensated for PTSD you want to follow instruction path and not expect to get a diagnoses and a check within a month.  It will take time but it will take a lot longer if don't get a PTSD diagnosis at your C&P exam and get the correct rating.  One thing they will ask you is if you are working.  They will ask about childhood problems.  The best thing to do is to say you were fine before the military and do not go into anything that happened before the military.  I had prodigious treatment records while I was in the army and I had spent two weeks inside the VA's brand new mental ward before I ever filed for a mental health claim. Back during Vietnam they did not have a PTSD diagnoses. You need to put your claim together with care and you will get a good outcome.  The VA is not big on handing out money without a good reason.  I am sure you have a good reason and you must convince the VA of that fact.

I registered with the va a few years ago. No PCP, diagnosis or rating. I'm just trying to do things the right way. I'm not doing this for the money, I have a pretty well paying job. I'm doing it because my mental state is getting progressively worse, my marriage is falling apart, my kids think I'm an xxxxxxx, and I'm tired of being the way I am