• donate-be-a-hero.png

What are my chances? SS Disability

Rate this question

green

Question

Things about my situation

• Age - 56
  • 100% VA disabled P&T
  • Disabled Civil Servant, after 29 years.
  • Social Security work history of 40+ years

Given my condition and declining health I can't work anymore.  I'm in the final days of my civil service career and only working about 20% of the time.  Once the paperwork is finished I'm moving home to Oregon.  I was required to file for social security disability for my civil service retirement and it was denied because I'm still working.

Any idea how this will go and should I hire an attorney to represent me?

Thanks

MPsgt, I've also hired Harris Federal Law Firm to represent me for the FERS Disability Retirement as well.  Problem is OPM is basically approving nothing since last November.  My rep told me she was used to seeing 30 actions a month and is only seeing 3 or 4 a month now.  I'm not sure what is going on there.

I'll probably for SSDI as soon as I quit (thinking the end of April).  I'm hoping my FERS retirement will be approved before but who knows.

3 minutes ago, green said:

MPsgt, I've also hired Harris Federal Law Firm to represent me for the FERS Disability Retirement as well.  Problem is OPM is basically approving nothing since last November.  My rep told me she was used to seeing 30 actions a month and is only seeing 3 or 4 a month now.  I'm not sure what is going on there.

I'll probably for SSDI as soon as I quit (thinking the end of April).  I'm hoping my FERS retirement will be approved before but who knows.

Political uncertainty and changes maybe? JMO

That is what my rep said too.  I have to admit I don't understand that though.  If you are OPM or the VA for that matter, an expected performance measure may be applications processed.  Why would you simply stop or pull back on processing applications due to a change in the administration?  It really makes no sense to me, just hoping they start to crank these out in the short term.

Edited by green