• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Establishing Veterans Affairs Service Connection for Disability Compensation 

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Establishing Veterans Affairs Service Connection for Disability Compensation 

There are two types of service-connection: Direct and Presumptive There are three requirements to establish direct service-connection for residuals of injuries and diseases; In-service documentation of an injury or disease. A current condition with a medical diagnosis and a medical nexus connecting 1 and 2. “Before November 2000, when the VCAA was enacted, veterans had to obtain a medical diagnosis of a current … Continue reading

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Tbird,

Thanks, a good read.  I did learn something.  Chronic.  I see now why some of my claims were denied as I could show the injury happened while on duty, but I did not have any follow through or additional action.  Therefore, acute.

Just another one of those VA things a Soldier should know while on active duty, and not just learn about years after they leave service.

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

• HadIt.com Elder

I Agree ham   every veteran filing claims should read this! it could very well save time and $ and not have to get in the appeals line.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Informal claim

Very good article- One thing I was wondering, I'm thinking it's now an 'ITF' -

They'll call what was an informal claim an 'RFA;' 'Request For Application'. It has no bearing on effective date

Could be wrong here.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe the ITF would be 12 months or more if the veteran gets the claim in  in time for the ITF,  If it takes the claim longer for a decision than the 12 month ITF then they do pay the extra months.

I been told they only give 12 months on the ITF Claim  but I had a ITF and filed it with in a year  like almost 12 months later before I filed the claim and it took them  extra months for a decision and they paid me for the extra months.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!