VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Status of Dependents

Rate this question

saxman

Question

Hi all, about a month ago I received VA form 21-0538 requesting the status of my dependents.  Nothing has changed with my dependents.  I have seen post that some people have experience problem with the VA treating this form

as a claim.  Well, the problem with that is I have a current claim that is getting close to closing and I don't want them to treat this form as a claim and combine it with my current claim. So my question is should I just sit on the form until my claim is finish?

Thanks in advance!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

As long as you fill the form out and send it with return receipt  so you know they got it  that's all you need to do....> do so ASAP

sending in this form should not interfer with your current claim,  if you added a dependent it will help.  so they can get your dependent status correct.BUT AS YOU STATED YOUR DEPENDENT STATUS HAS NOT CHANGED  SO YOU NEED TO LET THEM KNOW THAT.

they send this  form out to veterans at random.

I got one last year! and my dependent status  has not change....my spouse is my only dependent  and I can't run her off  so my dependent status is still the same.

Dont sit on it.  If the VA requests information, and you fail to give it, this is a perfect reason for VA to deny.  And, then it can/will take 5 plus years to straighten it out in appeals.  

Whether your dependents is a "claim" or not is irrelevant.  Let the VA choose whether your dependents are a "claim" or not, dont get caught up in a dispute of whether this is called a claim or a whoopie cushion.  You have to supply the requested information or you can expect, delays or denials.  Dont give VA excuses to delay or deny.  Make VA make up their own delay/denial excuses, dont give them to them.

Edited by broncovet