Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Opinion Letter - Hearing Loss/Tinnitus

Rate this question

Jim PS

Question

First post... I read some posts recommending Dr. Nash to do an opinion letter.  For just a medical opinion letter for hearing loss/tinnitus appeal... any other recommendations on who to contact.  THANKS.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Have you had a Hearing/Tinnitus C & P yet? Has your Claim been Denied?  If so to either question, post "REDACTED" copies of the C & P DBQ and Denial Letter.

Do you have a Combat Infantry Badge Award on your 214? CIB equals a presumptive of exposure to Combat causative Hearing issues.

There is no actual Testing for Tinnitus, your description of combat noise exposure and onset of the buzzing/hum or ringing in both or a single ear is what the C & P Audiologist goes by. It's sc'd at 10% for 1 or both ears.

Your Hearing C & P Computer Results, primarily the Recorded Word Recognition, will rule the day for the actual SC% if it's determined that you have a Hearing Problem and it's determined to be Service Related.

As to paying for an "IMO," why do you think you need one? A "For Fee" IMO Dr can run in excess of $1000.00, you might be somewhat premature regarding the "Hired Gun" IMO.

Semper Fi

And check out VA Fast Letter 10-35 here available under a search...That might help you a lot.

Gastone is right! I jumped the gun and paid about 1700 for an IMO that I didnt even need. My award came before it was done and the Forensic people who gave me this IMO doc refunded about half of what I paid.It was to knock down a PA C & P but BVA accepted my lay medial rebuttal and s--t canned that C & P.

It is Dr Bash, not Nash.....he did 2 fabulous IMos for me 2,000 each-and they would have cost me far more I am sure but I prepared a detailed cover letter and tabbed specific medical entries and documents in the stack. The 2nd IMO took him mere days to do as by then I had the bogus C & P exams to give him.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

THANKS to you both for responding.  I will work on this some more before going to expense of the IMO letter on this....especially for tinnitus. Yes, I had a C & P which was very detailed and opinion no service connection.  Yes, I got a denial on both hearing loss and tinnitus.  Yes, USArmy - combat infantry badge, and MOS was 11C - mortars and 11B - infantry.  Vietnam March 69 to May 70...   14 months in infantry/mortars for entire tour...extended 2 months to get OUT.

For now, I am going to back to VA for a hearing test re-do and to try to better explain the tinnitus - than I did previously.  I will probably try to use Dr. Bash on claim for asthma/breathing that I have not filed yet.  I had minor hearing loss but was A-OK on being able to identify words...so probably my only claim is for the 'winable' claim is for the tinnitus.  (I also have a denial for sleep apnea...but that's another story.) oh well. 

So I will work on this some more before proceeding with appeal.  Do appreciate the confirmation on Dr. Bash... THANKS AGAIN... Jim S.  

(and for the marine --- just started Matador --- so adjusting from Army to Marines...  and was enlisted and that book seems to written from a lt. perspective...)

Best to you both...Jim S

Where are you NOD Filing Deadline wise?

If you could post redacted  DBQ and Denial Letter copies regarding your Hearing/Tinnitus and SA Claims, we might be able to offer some insight, or not.

Semper Fi