Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA, DFAS or both?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Just got that "big white envelope" yesterday, awarding me a CUE from 1990, and TPIU back to 2010. Combined will be 6 figures.

I've read some posts here that said they got retro from BOTH the VA and DFAS a few days apart, then other's have said they got just one retro from VA.

So will the retro be just the VA, or DFAS and the VA?

Thanks.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Tbird, all the old timers I've talked to say this is just too long a wait for me. CUE and TPIU were approved on 27 January,2017.

Since 1990, this is the first time I've gotten my decision in writing before my retro.

Yes, I understand the "3 signature" rule for retros over 25k, but this is ridiculous.

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

I won a claim in April 2017 and it is being process now but I had to call DFAC

to get my payment process because I am not a retiree an I should not have been sent to them for an audit

and the RO had none close my claim BUT DFAC got it corrected open up a new claim & call the RO

AND WITHIN A DAY it was being process 6 figures. You call them they will help you good luck.

here is a link to DFAC  http://www.dfas.mil/dfas/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

and this is the phone #  Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) at 1-800-321-1080, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., EST.

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP)

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) are programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to receive monthly entitlements in addition to retired pay.

CRSC is a special compensation for combat-related disabilities. It is non-taxable, and retirees must apply to their Branch of Service to receive it.

CRDP is a restoration of retired pay for retirees with service-connected disabilities. It is taxed in the same manner as your retired pay, and it is normally considered taxable income. No application is required. Eligible retirees receive CRDP automatically.

The purpose of these entitlements is to recover some or all of the retired pay that military retirees waive for VA disability compensation.

Monthly Payments

Like your retired pay, DFAS pays CRDP and CRSC monthly on the first business day of each month.  You will receive your CRDP or CRSC payment in the same manner as your retired pay:

• If your retired pay is being direct deposited into your bank account, we will do the same for your CRDP or CRSC payment.
  • If your retired pay is sent to you as a paper check, we will do the same for your CRDP or CRSC payment.

To verify your bank account information or check your mailing address prior to receiving your first payment, you may call 800-321-1080 or login to your myPay account.

Retroactive Payments

DFAS and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) manage the CRDP/CRSC Processing program (formerly known as VA Retro) to pay eligible military retirees any retroactive CRSC, CRDP and/or VA disability compensation they are owed.

A retroactive payment will include any money you may have been entitled to before you received your first monthly payment.

A retiree may be due funds from DFAS, the VA or from both agencies. DFAS and the VA remain in communication with each other to successfully establish and process CRDP and CRSC accounts.

DFAS will audit your account to determine whether or not you are due retroactive payment. An audit of your account requires researching pay information from both DFAS and VA. If you are due any money from DFAS, you will receive it within 30-60 days of receipt of your first CRSC or CRDP monthly payment.

If DFAS finds that you are also due a retroactive payment from the VA, we will forward an audit to the VA. They are responsible for paying any money they may owe you.

For more information from DFAS, call toll free at 800-321-1080. Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (ET).

Questions concerning disability ratings or payments due from the VA should be directed to the VA at 800-827-1000.

Edited by porgee

They shouldn't be but this is what happen to me The RO sent it to DFAC for audit when

I only did 3 years and the RO mark claim close. 800# said claim close no retro. I only got

and answer when I call DFAC and they than open up my retro claim. Sound like you may need to give

them a call

porgee, the "big white envelope" approval packet I got on Friday showed that the VA had already broken down my retro from both 1990 on a CUE, and TPIU from 2010. So I'm not sure where, or how DFAS has any involvement here.

Berta, comment(s)?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!