VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Diagnosis by Psychiatric NP

Rate this question

IMEF-Gunny

Question

I am currently service connected for Gastro-intestinal issues at 30%. Former Marine, Gulf War vet. I have four additional contentions which are deffered for further evidence. I did not file a claim for PTSD or anxiety. I have been diagnosed by the local VAMC MH Psychiatric NP with PTSD. My question is, does this diagnosis, being made by an NP, meet the requirement for a diagnosis to later file a claim for PTSD? I have scheduled group therapy sessions at the Vet Center, BIG step for me. I am currently being treated with Zoloft, Bupropion and Prazosin. Thanks in advance for any opinions/help on this question.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Founder

I believe the NP can diagnose you, however you will more than likely still go to a Compensation and Pension exam where the examiner will either agree or disagree with the diagnosis. The examiner can be a doctor, NP or PA.

Further Reading

VA Compensation for PTSD and Other Mental Disorders – Hill & Ponton, P.A.

That was my thought as well. I was just curious if the NP's diagnosis would carry the weight needed to even be considered, as it is my understanding, one of the criteria for a PTSD claim is to have a current diagnosis of PTSD prior to filing.

Edited by IMEF-Gunny

Correct and a lot will depend on the proof of your inservice stressors.

Vets Centers are swell! The comradery is superb and it is a safe environment to talk in with other vets. VA however never sees any records from the Vet Centers. At least that is how it was when I was a vet center volunteer.

If you have a list of stressors (war vets often have many) it is best to list the one most easily verifiable first and then any others.

Unless you have the PH, CAR, and/or the CIB on your DD 214. In that case the VA will concede a stressor.