VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Update on BVA backlog

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

First, its not good news.  According to the VA website, the BVA is currently working on Docket numbers PRIOR to September, 2013. Source:

https://www.bva.va.gov/CustomerService.asp

Understand what this means.   It does not mean if you filed a NOD yesterday, it will get done in 4 years.  Unfortunately, no.    

It means AFTER the claim is docketed with the Board, it will likely take ANOTHER 4 years, which, will likely be even longer as the backlog is constantly getting worse.  

Remember, After you file a NOD, expect your VARO to "sit" on it for 419 days or  more before they get you a required SOC.  After you get your SOC, then you have to file an I9.  Expect another delay of 537 days or more while the VARO "certifies" your claim to the BOard.   Sometime well after you file the I9, you will eventually (if there are no glitches, and dont count on that) get a docket number and your place in line at the board.    Source:  BVA chairmans report:  https://www.bva.va.gov/docs/Chairmans_Annual_Rpts/BVA2015AR.pdf

Bottom line is if you are now filing a NOD, you probably wont get a BVA decision for AT LEAST 5 years, and it will more likely be 6 or 7 years, or more.  And, this is best case senario, assuming no glitches, and assumes the VA wont lose or shred your NOD.  Plus, the VARO has to implement the BVA award, and that does not always go smoothly either.  So if you file a NOD now, you may be able to see your check in 2023 or 2024, that is, if you are sill alive and YOU timely file the I9.  If you miss a deadline...you are out.  The VA can make you wait ten years and its fine and dandy, but try YOU missing the one year appeal deadline OR the 60 day I9 requirement, and your goose is cooked.

These numbers are understated because the backlog has grown almost 20 percent in the most recent 12 months, and there are no signs of letting up.   

5 answers to this question

Yikes. The thing we think is the VA deals with Veterans. What it really does is create bureaucracy.

The greedy non Veterans in charge of the VA will suggest cutting some of your due-process rights to expedite, and congress will try. Then they'll do the same old; ask for more money and get tons more VSRs, supervisors, and nifty exec positions for their greedy little non-Veteran girlfriends.

It won't make much difference to wait times (The PR will say it did!)

They just enhanced our Due Process rights. It is in the Bill 457 I had input into:

I have no doubt at all that this will become law.

• HadIt.com Elder

I seen that MS berta  and I though of you , I said to myself  I bet this is one of the many changes Ms Berta added in...  yahoooooooooo

Thanks for helping out  at least someone  is listing to your suggestion change.

WTG Ms berta

Yeah, I have been griping about the VCAA since Shenseki was Sec

It might be mentioned in my H VAC sub committee testimony ...during Shreddergate.

Also I have copies of all of my letters to former House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Miller ,

and to  former Chairman Bob Filner, ( letters and phone calls)

who I asked to write an amendment to the VCAA (5103) LONG ago when the RO violations of it started the backlog,evident at the BVA web site.......

also complaints I made to the VA Office of Inspector General,and  

part of a complaint I made on a different issue to the Office of General Counsel VA, and multiple other attempts , in my C file and VA records, which were accessed by VACO, to have the VCAA amended so that we can really attain equitable treatment in the claims process.

I had prior contacts with Trump as well before he became president.And the day after he became President...in addition to the Hot Line and his web site.

This amendment , HR 457, did not happen overnight....

It took me about 9-10 years to get a viable response from the VA from my past complaints asking for an amendment.

It came yesterday. 

On 6/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, broncovet said:

Remember, After you file a NOD, expect your VARO to "sit" on it for 419 days or  more before they get you a required SOC.  After you get your SOC, then you have to file an I9.  Expect another delay of 537 days or more while the VARO "certifies" your claim to the BOard.   Sometime well after you file the I9, you will eventually (if there are no glitches, and dont count on that) get a docket number and your place in line at the board.   

that is, if you are sill alive

Thanks for the rundown! Only breakdown of 'How things actually work' I've really seen. (evidently missed it first read ...)

And break into a chorus of delay, deny, wait 'til I die