Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

smc s and Aid and attendance

Rate this question



ok guys, its been along road but again thanks for this site it litterally saved my life. Anyway i'm really out of it.. guess i've been this way for along time.. now its the no sleep for days at a time.. i'm going try fix that and make myself finally use the cpap.. My question is i am 50 percent sleep apnea 70 depression anxiety tdui pt. so i get paid 100 percent.. I really do not function well on my own and need help especially when i go in my ruts.. the place just because bad.. u get the point plus having someone around to help out just to talk with helps.. I filed migraines secondary sleep apnea . i think i'll win i have a nexus that will put me at 160 i think i'm so confused.. if you can understand my babbling.. whould i get smc and extra money to pay someone to help me out. I"m currently paying out of pocket but living outside us so its not as bad.. thanks everyone I filed that aid and attendance but the whole smc s or l stuff confuses hell out of me.. so any help i would appreciate

Edited by adkins7b
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
  • Moderator

Based on what you posted:

1.  SMC S.  Of course, you can get SMC S 2 ways:

a.  Statuatory, that is, "100 plus 60" SMC S.  Since you are TDIU, go ahead and apply, but that is kinda tough.  

b.  Housebound "in fact".  As I have stated, when you are TDIU you should meet the "Howell" Criteria.  https://asknod.org/2014/08/25/cavc-howell-v-nicholson-what-smc-s-really-says/

Otherwise, if a doctor says you are "substantially confined" to your home, then you should be able to get SMC S.

2.  SMC L, Aid and Attendance.  There are several levels of A and A, which mostly depend on the degree of A and A, and whether or not you need a full time Nurse.  Again, you have to have a doctor say you need aid and attendance.  

If you dont have the requiste evidence in your file, then you will likely need an IMO/IME.  


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have a hell of a record my mind comes and goes .. it seems as i get better life loves to toss more at me to test me..lol Ok do I have to have smc S to get smc L. I really do need the help and am paying out of pocket, it just depends on the day or week or month. I go days or weeks with hardly any sleep is the most problem and well you guys know.. but sometimes i'm just fine.. anyway thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

I don't think you need SMC-S  you just need to qualify for SMC L

As broncovet mention you will need a qualified  Dr opinion to state his opine that you need the A&A or your not able to take care of yourself, so you need around the clock care...due to your S.C. DISABILITY'S.

 OR go to asknod .org   site and read his blog on SMC.how to get it and what you need to do to qualify. 


I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use