Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 0 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
Bullwinkle

Quick Turn Around in E-Benefits

Question

Have a question. I submitted a claim in E-Benefits for secondary for both my left hip and left foot (due to left discrepancy), which is SC. The plantar fasciitis in my foot was diagnosed by the VA and my hip was diagnosed by a civilian doctor. I uploaded all my VA medical and personal doctors medical evaluation and documents along with a copy of my service medical records. My question is why this was done so fast as my initial claim was put into E-Benefits on  08/02/2017 and now I see its already in the "Preparation for Notification" phase. Also under disabilities claimed it states "mqas review - recoupment adjustment (New)".  I did get an SSB payment when I left the service that I have been paying back for years now. My question is this seems too fast for the VA.....and not a good sign.

(E-Benefits yesterday)

Status of Your Claim: Gathering of Evidence

• Submitted: 08/02/2017 (Compensation)
  • Estimated Completion: 11/11/2017 - 02/03/2018
  • Disabilities Claimed: bursitis(secondary to: leg length discrepancy, left lower extremity) (Secondary), (secondary to: leg length discrepancy plantar fasciitis left lower extremity) (Secondary)
  •  
  • Current Status: Gathering of Evidence

(E-Benefits Today)

• Current Status: Preparation for Notification
  • Representative for VA Claims: VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE US

Was this an FDC claim? 

Update: My original claim (FDC) was a formal claim for secondary conditions of “Arthritis Due to Strain” in both my left foot and left hip caused by my service-connected condition “left leg length discrepancy”, which is rated at 0 percent. My left leg length discrepancy and pelvic tilt has played a role in either causing or aggravating my diagnosed trochanteric bursitis of the left hip. I have been scheduled for a C&P exam for the 6th of Sept at the VA in Martinsburg.

When I looked in E-Benefits I saw a new claim opened. Actually the VA opened a new claim to review my SSB recoupment and make some kind of adjustment. The closed the claim and have sent me a notification package (which I have not received as of yet).

So as it stands now I will undergo the C&P exam this week.

So I received a notification package today regarding the review on my SSB Recoupment. My recoupment was supposed to end November 2019 at which time I was to start reviving benefits December 2019 (30 percent). Apparently the VA miscalculated my SSB recoupment and now have advised me, after their review, recoupment will be finished November 2017. I will start receiving benefits in December. That was great news. Now for the C&P in the am....... 

that is great news! congratulations.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By simdog77
      Hello all,
      Seems as this COVID stuff has made my VSO disappear so I'm looking for some help. I was recently diagnosed with Planovalgus Foot (left foot only) with a deformity by the VA Ortho doc. I had flat feet documented on my boot physical but no problems until a few years ago. The deformity is relatively new. My left knee is service connected and my left ankle is service connected, secondary to the left knee. My question is how do I file for the Planovalgus Foot with deformity? Secondary to the left knee or to the left ankle (or both)? I don't know if you can have a secondary to a secondary!
      Thanks in advance and stay safe!
    • By pyrotaz
      So today I found my claim was approved today for Sleep Apnea secondary for PTSD for 50%. As promised I have attached all the documents I sent in with my claim. This claim took less than a month from when I sent it into approval. I have also included a copy of the nexus my doctor wrote. With the proper research and a good nexus you can win this. I hope my research willhelp other win their claims. 
      High Risk.pdf How PTSD relates to obstructive sleep apnea & cpap therapy.pdf My Statement.pdf Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.pdf PTSD and Sleep.pdf PTSD Severity Linked to Higher Risk of Sleep Apnea in Veterans.pdf PTSD symptoms go beyond psychological.pdf Sleeo Study.pdf Sleep and PTSD.pdf Sleep apnea found in 57%.pdf Sleep Disordered Breathing in patients with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.pdf The National Veteren Sleep Disorder Study.pdf The PTSD and Sleep-Apnea Connection.pdf The PTSD-OSA Paradox.pdf VA sleep study Publication.pdf Nexus.docx
    • By Iceman's_Wife
      Question:   VA Form 21-526EZ page 8 section 13.     Should all the items from the VA Problem list (medical records) be included on the form, including secondary problems and other items such as diabetes or ONLY the service connected problems?   Post Vietnam, no AO
        My spouse's condition has deteriorated in the last 10 years and we need to be re-evaluated.   Last year, the VA Rep submitted a claim and the Comp&Pen Doctor asked us for an MRI.   From there it gets murky trying to get assistance for documentation.

• By Navy4life
      Hi there!  Long time member here but been MIA for awhile.  Life has been busy and I have been dealing with health issues.  Long story short, I went through a battery of tests to find out what is wrong with me.  I did an ANA-TITER test, and it was positive for an auto immune disease.   Was referred to the RA doctor for further testing to see if I had lupus.  The RA doctor did blood tests and determined I don't have lupus.  We did additionally physical exam at the VA back in May and he determined I had Fibromyalgia and diagnosed me with it.  We discussed that my Fibromyalgia co-exists with PTSD/MST and IBS.  We also discussed that Fibromyalgia can be secondary to my already service-connected PTSD/MST or even maybe my IBS.  I discussed this with my representative and we decided to file a claim for Fibromyalgia (non-service connected disability) to an already service-connected disability.  Either PTSD/MST or IBS and we asked that they evaluate either causation or aggravation.
      We filed in July and I had my C&P exam in September.  The examiner was asked by the rater to give his medical opinion as to the Fibro being secondary to my PTSD/MST.  The rater did not ask if it was possible to be secondary to my IBS like we requested.  The examiner did a C&P DBQ for Fibro and that was positive.  I do have Fibro, that isn't the issue.  The medical opinion is what was disturbing.  I was with the examiner for less than 5 minutes.  He stated he physically examined me when he did not and he seemed very unknowledgeable about Fibro/PTSD-MST/IBS as co-existing and determining either causation or aggravation.  Of course the medical opinion stated, "less likely than not".  I was floored, so I went to work for my claim.
      I contacted my RA doctor and we talked with my representative on the phone as well.  By the end of the call he was confident enough to link my PTSD/MST as aggravation to my Fibromyalgia.  He wrote a one/two paragraph letter on my behalf.  We sent that to the rater.  Then I spoke to my MH provider last week and she too wrote me a very good NEXUS letter.  That was sent to the rater yesterday.  Both my doctor's are at the VA and both stepped out on a limb for me.  I am hoping their medical opinions outweigh the negative C&P medical opinion.
      I am attaching the C&P exams (redacted), the two medical opinions (redacted) - I am hoping I am successful because this will make me 100% scheduler.  I am currently 94% overall rated.
      C&P _Redacted.pdf
      nexus 2_Redacted.pdf
      redacted.pdf
      redacted2.pdf
    • By anxiousinMD
      Hello and TYIA for any responses and for reading my long post.
      BLUF: I would appreciate some insight or just plain ol speculatin on why the VA raters would submit me for a lumbar strain increase (that I didn’t submit for) while working on my current claim? Also, are secondary conditions disqualified in the 60% calculation for SMC Housebound? I know it says the 60% must be separate from the 100% condition, but how does this work if I’m on IU, with secondary conditions? 
      I’m probably overthinking at 4am but why would they submit me for an increase for a condition when I didn’t ask them, and the increase has no bearing on the final rating due to VA math, unless it qualifies me for SMC, or they believe I should be qualified. I’ve never raised the issue of SMC and I’m still learning about it trying to figure out my claim, and I know they are supposed to do due diligence, but that’s not my first hunch since that’s why I’m still in this process.
      History: I filed a claim in 2015 for PTSD increase and TDIU, was granted increase in 2016 to 70% PTSD, denied TDIU. Combined, 80% with other SC conditions. BBE/VSO said I was denied increase to 100% even though I had a nexus statement from a psychologist saying total social and occupational impairment, at least as likely as not, etc., but they said because I was still employed (I was on long term disability leave but not yet “terminated” and yes they had the relevant evidence through my employer and insurance), and my VA treating provider’s opinion took precedence who didn’t feel my symptoms quite qualified me for total of course, though he‘s a CRNP versus a psychologist and I don’t think he even knows me. I thought they were supposed to take the rating and credentials that favor the Veteran but never mind me. I also survived and was approved for Social Security and life insurance premium waivers during this period without having to appeal, with the same medical information and evidence, with the same VA SC conditions, even coming from VA docs and providers.
      Of course I appealed the rating and TDIU denial (they can decide) in 2016. I also submitted a new claim for secondaries to PTSD, and in my fog, with that claim an increase for PTSD and TDIU, even though I already had those on appeal. I believe I read or was told somewhere (or maybe my brain made it up) that if I submitted new evidence, the raters could look back at the effective date and could EED to the original claim if the evidence shows and close the appeal. Or, they could approve me from the date of the new claim and the appeal could deal with the stuff before that. But what they did was what they are apparently supposed to do (according to Peggy and the VSOs): defer the appeal related claims to the appeal. DOH.
      Current Status: Early this month my claim progressed and I was granted an increase to 30% for IBS secondary to my 70% PTSD, and since I had a pre-existing 10% for nerve condition and 20% for lumbar strain, that brought me to 90%. My claim never went to complete and I never got the BBE, ebenefits bounced around from gathering of evidence to pending decision approval within days of my last C&P (I had one for PTSD and one for IBS). I’m not sure why they would give me a C&P for PTSD if they are deferring that part of my claim to appeal as I was told. Maybe they’re just giving me a checkup because my 30 appointments and inpatient stays and shock treatments over the past year weren’t enough medical evidence.
      I learned of the increase bc I got a small retro and my ebenefits letters and disabilities changed within days, but the claim stayed open. I found out by calling Peggy and VSO that it’s due to an increase for my lumbar strain that someone in the rating chain put in. I do have plenty of evidence in my medical records that show my back is also crap. I got sent to a C&P for my lumbar strain and now I wait in GOE. The C&P examiner, Peggy, VSOs specifically say I was submitted for an increase for my back, not a review. BTW, in ebenefiits in the disabilities section, the PTSD increase is still open, the TDIU disappeared, the IBS is rated, and the lumbar strain doesn’t appear. Yes, I know ebenefits is unreliable and I should find something else to do, but compulsively logging into ebenefits is an activity quite similar to playing a slot machine for me. Every 1 in 10000000 logins I might get a glimmer of hope, and it keeps me going lol.
      I Wonder: What difference does it make if I’m rated 20% or 30% for my lumbar strain? Why would this be raised since my overall rating won’t change from 90% either way? Trust me, I AM NOT COMPLAINING AND I AM GRATEFUL, anything they do (and they have been getting faster and more Vet-friendly it seems) positive for the Veteran that saves future agony and torture is an appreciated blessing. It would help in the future in qualifying for SMC, but I don’t qualify with the math now. Just wondering if they don’t have enough to do over there, because in the future I’d probably have to get another C&P. Also, I would have to have another condition at 30% for that math to work out, and I pray nothing else worsens enough for that to happen.
      Does “separate” mean it can’t affect the same body system or it can’t be a secondary condition? Because with secondaries, I could potentially qualify for SMC, and therefore the VA rater would be setting me up for success. Otherwise, it just seems like extra work for them when they could close my case and get their quota numbers and help another Vet...again, not complaining but whoever is on my file seems to be thorough regardless.
      I know they could be doing anything over there, and I’m glad they’re working on my claim, but just for s&g I’d appreciate any guesses or suggestions, and any help clarifying the SMC Housebound math thing please.
      Thank you all.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 0 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines