VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will the VA Reduce a rating if you don't stay in therapy for mental health?

Rate this question

kent101

Question

Is the VA going to try and lower a veteran's rating  if the veteran stops going to therapy after the veteran has been told by a therapist that they don't need any more coping skills? At the next C&P exam couldn't the veteran say "the therapist told me I didn't need to come in anymore because I had all the coping skills I need". 

Edited by kent101

22 hours ago, Tbird said:

@kent101 thanks for letting me know. yeah, it seems they have a certain pool of tools to teach you but if you already know them, I guess that's it then. 

One of my first doctors explained to me that my PTSD was not going to go away, that it wasn't about curing it, it was all about managing it. Manage the symptoms, manage the triggers, manage the anger, manage the crushing depression, like meditation managing takes a lot of practice. Trial and error, but no cure. Maybe that doctor was wrong, but it's been since 1991 that I saw her and so far she has been proven right with most things she told me and taught me.

Have you tried to get in a group therapy setting or some other kind of group that you could go to get some support? I heard rumors that they didn't want Vet Center therapists to spend more than a year with a veteran, but not sure if it was rumor or fact or somewhere in between.

When I started my first session the therapist said that they're trying to get people better. I felt there was a sense of urgency to rush me out of there. After leaving I decided that I'll only do private therapy if I have to. The group therapy isn't something I've done, I'm not really comfortable in groups.

• Founder

@kent101 I get that about groups, personally I've had enough of them. They were helpful to me with some things, but individual therapy is where I had my most progress.

I am very happy with my private therapist and hope you have good luck with one if you choose to go that route. If the PTSD is causing you to do things that aren't in your best interest, don't hesitate to get into therapy. A private therapist has more tools and modality available to them than the VA.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:35 AM, Tbird said:

@kent101 I get that about groups, personally I've had enough of them. They were helpful to me with some things, but individual therapy is where I had my most progress.

I am very happy with my private therapist and hope you have good luck with one if you choose to go that route. If the PTSD is causing you to do things that aren't in your best interest, don't hesitate to get into therapy. A private therapist has more tools and modality available to them than the VA.

I can't go to a VA therapist because I'm too scared now. I'm trying to change therapist at the Vet Center after this last bad encounter I had. Having false notes put on my VA treatment notes saying I'm improving when I'm not would only ratchet up my anxiety level. It seems every appointment has to be approached as if it's a C&P exam because my last therapist would take any little positive thing I said and make it look like a huge improvement in the PTSD. If I can't change at the Vet Center I'd rather pay for a private therapist out of pocket because it's going to be a whole lot more expensive if I get a reduction letter based on false treatment notes.

Edited by kent101

Sorry to hear you are struggling bud. I started out in 2013 with Group Therapy. I went 2 times, and decided to go the Individual Trauma Treatment thru the VA. I have been doing this since early 2014. It does not do much per say to help me, but it is nice to Vent to the VA Doc and not my family. Any Vet that is collecting a Disability Rating should make sure there is a record on file of seeking Treatment. I have seen alot of Vets over the Years Lose a Rating or Get Reduced, due to not going to get Treatment thru the VA. Remember once we get a Rating of SC, VA can always come after us, if they think we have gotten better. I am 100% P&T with alot of SC conditions as you can see in my signature. I still look over my shoulder and go to my VA appts, and I travel over 200-300 miles round trip for every appt. Just try to figure out what is best for you. Good luck and God Bless 

• HadIt.com Elder

Not intended to hi-jack this original posters thread

: Note to Ms Tbird

When you started seeing a civilian therapist did you do it with private insurance or VA Help Pay?

I am stuck with VA Therapist and it seems its not working all that well for me, I know I can change VA Therapist but from other veterans mention at my VAMC  there all about the same.

I do have medicare now  so I need to check into that if they pay for therapy ?

and I'm over 65

Just been thinking about seeing a private therapist ,  if medicare insurance will pay for it ? and I sign over the FOIA to the VA where they can access my medical R. ect,,,,ect,,,

Maybe it depends on your medicare plan?

IDK-Just a thought.

Anyone can chime in here

Thanks

2 hours ago, Navy04 said:

Sorry to hear you are struggling bud. I started out in 2013 with Group Therapy. I went 2 times, and decided to go the Individual Trauma Treatment thru the VA. I have been doing this since early 2014. It does not do much per say to help me, but it is nice to Vent to the VA Doc and not my family. Any Vet that is collecting a Disability Rating should make sure there is a record on file of seeking Treatment. I have seen alot of Vets over the Years Lose a Rating or Get Reduced, due to not going to get Treatment thru the VA. Remember once we get a Rating of SC, VA can always come after us, if they think we have gotten better. I am 100% P&T with alot of SC conditions as you can see in my signature. I still look over my shoulder and go to my VA appts, and I travel over 200-300 miles round trip for every appt. Just try to figure out what is best for you. Good luck and God Bless 

I've read a lot of stories of Veterans with PTSD getting reductions letters after going to the VA therapist and VA Psychiatrist. The VA therapist notes are directly accessed by the rater. If a Vet doesn't go to a VA therapist they cannot have a rating reduced legally for that alone. The VA must be able to show by therapy records that the Veteran has shown sustained improvement. If a rating reduction illegally occurs the Vet then must fight it with their private doctor's notes. Either way if things go bad with a C&P exam the veteran is better off going to a private doctor since they're going to end up having to do it anyways if to defend against a ratings reduction.