Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Coronary Artery Disease Secondary to Hyperlipidemia

Rate this question

Emmanuel Lawler

Question

I had suffered a myocardial infraction and underwent triple bypass surgery in June of 2017. I had sought medical assistance for chronic chest pains on three separate occasions while on active duty and have documentation of having hyperlipidemia upon my retirement physical in 1999. Would this qualify as service connected?

Yes, but my opinion does not count, and neither does yours, or Donald Trump's.  

You need these 2 things:

1.  Current diagnosis.  MI, CAD, etc. etc. 

2.  Nexus.  You need a doctor to document, "The Veterans CAD, MI, etc., is at least as likely as not due to his SC hyperlipidemia."  

That is, you dont need an "in service event or aggravation" if its secondary, because your primary already has that covered.  

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:27 PM, Emmanuel Lawler said:

I had suffered a myocardial infraction and underwent triple bypass surgery in June of 2017. I had sought medical assistance for chronic chest pains on three separate occasions while on active duty and have documentation of having hyperlipidemia upon my retirement physical in 1999. Would this qualify as service connected?

Would I need a nexus letter from my physician or would my in-service diagnosis be sufficient?

What was the DX regarding the Chest Pain, any mention of CAD or Angina?  What were your LDL long term Lab numbers as well as HDL numbers.

You're going to need a Cardiologist opinion as to the etiology of your CAD. Controlled LDL numbers don't guarantee the development of CAD. Has more to do with eating and Life style since you left the womb. A lifetime of high Fat foods, smoking and drinking are among the usual suspects, as well as exposure to the VA AO Presumptive.

I am in the same exact situation.  I had a NSTEMI MI in June 2017.  I have records from military and VA doctors with test results for hyperlipidemia.  Had 2 stents put in in June and another in Oct.  Have yet to have METs test(s), dont think I can since I cant even take a hot shower or walk up a flight of stairs without chest pains and shortness of breath.  I also have back and sciatica in both legs, plus knee injury which prevents me from working out or exercising for past 17 years.  I have filed for CAD and  MI but I will not see my Cardio doctor again until June, and I plan on pursuing nexus letter for hyperlipidemia and sedentary lifestyle due to a service-connected injury.  I would like to note, I was never told, briefed or informed of hyperlipidemia by the military nor the VA, nor was I ever treated.  Shame I could have avoided CAD and MI if I was.

CAD Secondary to PTSD and/or Depression is a tough sell, while not impossible, it's not an automatic.

Have you had a discussion with your Cardiologist regarding possible etiology of your CAD? Clinician Treatment Notes could go a long way if they provide supportive Evidence of a correlation with the MH Issues.

How's your BMI %? Any history of the "Usual CAD Suspects?" You need an "at least as likely as not" Board Certified Cardiologist support statement.

CAD is on the "presumptive" list for VEterans of certain wars.  See the regulation here to see if it applies to you:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.309

"Presumptive" means that if you served at the proper time, in the applicable country(s), and if you have been diagnosed with the disease, you are "presumed" to have gotten it in service, that is, its service connected.  

If your disease in on the presumptive list, (and Shinseki added CAD to the presumptive list) then it makes it much easier for you to get service connection.  You may not even need the nexus because its presumed you got it from service.  

This said, its often that VA denies without a nexus, even tho its a presumptive.  The board should "fix" that, as long as you point it out in your appeal.  You may even get it with the DRO review, too.