VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got a call for C and P, what do I expect?

Rate this question

Rootbeer112

Question

Hi Everyone,

I filed for PTSD back in 2015, they denied it because half my records were lost, didn't have a C and P. I filed an NOD in 2016 and they called yesterday to set up a C and P. I can now prove without my missing records I was at the place of where my stressor occurred, I also provided the VA with DBQ's as well as Nexus letters from my personal Psychologist as well as treatment records. I have also been being treated at the VA for a few years now for PTSD as well. My questions are, can I bring copies of the DBQ's that my Psychologist filled out as well as Nexus letters linking my military service to my PTSD to my C and P exam? Will they help with my exam? And will they take into account my VA doctors diagnosing me with PTSD and saying it was Military related as well. Sorry if this is a lot I am just heightened mentally right now> Thanks for any input

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My 2 cents worth.

I would take any records of favorable evidence.

just wait and see if they have what you have?  if not then ask to present these records at this time for the record.

the examiner will be reading off the computer  the VA sends him/her all your medical records and medical notes from VA MH And any private records you share with the VA. things you have said ect,,,ect,,,

They ask me a lot about my childhood if I was abused as a child, if any of my family members were diagnose with a mental health problems, how my work environment was? (which I was IU) So I ask the examiner to recheck her computer for my  present S.C. Ratings . (oh ok) she did and cleared that part up.

she said I won't be asking you about your strssor's I read your Vietnam service records  and no need to bring back those memories for you.

then it was just general questions how I feel about things how I precive the public,  do I want to hurt others? do I throw things  when angry? do I ever think about killing myself,  ect,,ect,,all the things in the DSM 5 Manuel they will ask,

do you sleep ok ? do you have night mares of your stressors? Do you wake with night sweating? do you see things that remind you of the past (stressor's) do you think everyone is out to get you? do you sit on guard or your back to a door? I said yes to all or most of these questions.& with the exception of my childhood and family mental problems which I answer no to  because that was true.  I was not abused as a child and had a normal childhood  and none of my family members ever had mental problems & a lot of other questions I can't remember  

I was gittery and moved around quite a bit I could not sit still and some things made me emotional that got to me.

Just be your self and always be truthful answer the questions the best you can and honestly.

I wore blue jeans and a T shirt tennis shoes.

IMO, they are ALWAYS looking for an easy out.  If they can justify that you had the MH issue as a child, then the BVA/VA would/will deny any disability... Case closed. 

To me, as I understand it, much of what you want to rely on is... What is in your military entry physical exam, and what kinds of things are in that document.  In other words, if the military failed to catch/record a medical condition upon your enlistment, then the VA cannot deny you on the basis of a pre-existing condition .  Your testimony is NOT a reliable diagnosis (you are NOT a medical doctor) of your condition.  You, the claimant/patient can only document your symptoms for the doctors to diagnose.

Hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have all your evidence and medical records, just be on time and answer the questions the best  you can  let her know how your life been effected being traumatized while in the military.

your spouse can write a lay statement to this fact  she lives with you and sees your disability everyday.(if your married)

As Buck said just make sure you have everything you could ever think of, that will help support your claim. Horizontal, is right on the path as well. Just sucks that 1 simple person behind a computer ultimately controls us Vets. Dont know if that crap will ever change. Nice to see all of us Support each other so well on Hadit.