VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Can I apply for A&A, while currently on Post 911 Caregiver program at the Highest Tier? My VA MH Doc filled out my DBQ for increase on PTSD I should have done this 2 years ago, but I absolutely hate the PTSD C&P Exams. If I apply for A&A, or SMC which should I apply for? Thanks in advance

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I thought aid and attendance was any other SMC not considered the housebound at the S rate. But I have just applied for both at the same time two days ago so I am already getting SMC S. So I guess you may know before me?

Ask for "the maximum SMC" you are eligible for.  While VA is always supposed to assume the Vet is "seeking the max benefit", dont leave it up to chance.  

This said, the VA is always supposed to infer SMC WHEN you become eligible.  That is, you should not have to apply for SMC, the effective date of SMC is not when you apply, but when the evidence shows you became eligible.  

Also, tho others may chime in, the "caregiver act" is to compensate "the caregiver".  A and A

is compensation which is paid "to the Veteran" needing A and A.  

I think the critieria for A and A may be a bit different than the criteria under the "caregiver act".  For example, any Veteran of any war is eligible for A and A, but the Caregiver Act is currently ONLY for recent Vets (not Vietnam Era Vets).  Recently, however, the Caregiver act is being "broadened" to include VN era Vets, but its being "phased in".  According to the caregiver act website, Im "not eligible" for the caregiver act because Im not a "recent" Vet

(Iraq, OIF, Afghanastan, etc).  

I think its possible to apply for and get both "caregiver act" and Aid and Attendance provided that you meet the criteria for BOTH.  

On 12/15/2018 at 4:22 PM, broncovet said:

Ask for "the maximum SMC" you are eligible for.  While VA is always supposed to assume the Vet is "seeking the max benefit", dont leave it up to chance.  

This said, the VA is always supposed to infer SMC WHEN you become eligible.  That is, you should not have to apply for SMC, the effective date of SMC is not when you apply, but when the evidence shows you became eligible.  

Also, tho others may chime in, the "caregiver act" is to compensate "the caregiver".  A and A

is compensation which is paid "to the Veteran" needing A and A.  

I think the critieria for A and A may be a bit different than the criteria under the "caregiver act".  For example, any Veteran of any war is eligible for A and A, but the Caregiver Act is currently ONLY for recent Vets (not Vietnam Era Vets).  Recently, however, the Caregiver act is being "broadened" to include VN era Vets, but its being "phased in".  According to the caregiver act website, Im "not eligible" for the caregiver act because Im not a "recent" Vet

(Iraq, OIF, Afghanastan, etc).  

I think its possible to apply for and get both "caregiver act" and Aid and Attendance provided that you meet the criteria for BOTH.  

Thanks for responding the application my doctor filled out doesn’t ask or suggest what level of SMC I’m asking for so how do I request the highest level of SMC do I need to ask in a Statement of support for my claim? I’m assuming that’s my only option at this point.i can upload it today with my wife into ebenefits if so.

Good.  A lot of VA raters "do not like" it when the VA doc suggests x percentage rating, or some level of SMC.  Raters dont like doctors doing what they think is "their" job.  

As I may have explained, you should "not" have to apply for SMC, because SMC is always inferred when you meet the critieria.  However, as we all know, VA does ***NOT** always infer SMC, so Veterans need to apply for it anyway.  To apply for SMC is done the same way you apply for other benefits..you fill in the applicable form and send it in.  I think its

21-526 EZ, but others can chime in if its wrong.  The "inferred" part of SMC becomes important when the effective date is assigned.  You see, if you apply for SMC S, for example, in 2018, but it is discovered you have been housebound since 2012, then you should get 2012 as the effective date, NOT the date you applied, because SMC is always inferred.  

If you think you are entitled to SMC L (aka Aid and Attendance lowest level), then send in an application.